The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I got Punk'd. (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6351)

left68wing 04-19-06 02:21 AM

this almost sounds like a candidate for a darwin award. guy decides to steal money, picks a lawyer to try to fraud, leaves an internet trail behind, when asked if he knew if the victim was a lawyer, he says no. sorry about losing the 300 dollars, but this is hilarious.

Aequitas58 04-19-06 09:26 AM

Well, when you put it that way... :)

I'm not confident that I'll get the money back. But that's his choice at this point. I've made him well aware of the situation that he put himself in, so let's see if he does good for himself. I have the phone numbers for the bank fraud and cyber crimes divisions of his local police department (nh Google), most likely I'm making the calls on Monday.

I spoke to him two days ago - I'm actually doubting I'll hear from him again. Pfft, whatever, that's what cops are for.

Aequitas58 04-19-06 09:31 AM

My information was all over the internet. I know how he did it, and it wasn't hard. I'm debating on whether I'm going to post his complete methodology. The last thing I want to do is "show" someone how to do it, so that someone else gets fucked.

The important thing is to keep your information safe. You have to realize that what is public information on some sites (ie: My birthdate was listed in my TP profile) can be used to help get passwords for other sites. See what I mean?

EDIT: I'm not going to be like BUNNY, and ask "What do you mean by that," because you sometimes you explode at the mouth w/out really knowing what you type. :)

Talking Poker 04-19-06 11:39 AM

Here's the thing though... While you can keep the name "Aequitas58" on TP fairly anonymous, anyone who knows you in real life is going to know your name and (approximately) where you live. Given that info, it's easy to get your birthdate and anything else they need to do damage. The flaw in the system here isn't making your information public, but rather Yahoo's ridiculous security measures AND the fact that you were keeping sensitive information in a web based email account.

Example: George Bush. I know his name. I know his address. With about 10 seconds of research, I could find his birthdate. But that doesn't put him at risk for anything at all..... I'm willing to bet he isn't using as his primary email address.

Tony Cheval 04-19-06 02:48 PM

Web mail For The Lose. :p

SirFWALGMan 04-19-06 06:35 PM

Honestly

I think it might be a public service message for you to tell people how it happened and how to prevent it (besides not leaving sensitive materials on Yahoo!).

Aequitas58 04-19-06 08:15 PM

Well, a little bit of an update for those following along:

I was contacted by the "mystery" person, and he has promised that the money will be returned to me. Supposedly, an Uncle in California is sending him the money, and he will be forwarding it to me. Likely story? We'll see. In the least, I'm surprised he contacted me... I honestly didn't think I would hear from him since our last AIM conversation.*

(*Let me reiterate for those playing at home, this person wasn't a "friend" of mine who had more information at his fingertips than you do. As per SIR's post, again, I will not start revealing more than I already have. If this angers you, then don't post in this thread anymore. Re-read RD's posts, and you will begin to see why.)

eejit101 04-19-06 08:52 PM

I agree with everything here as posted by our resident lawyers.

Im more than impressed with the way AEQ is handling it.

Hijack me all you want, i think my bankroll is currently $2.66. And thats inclusive of the 15 sites i have on here:)

Why the fuck would someone try this. Hacking in to someones account to play 15/30 with $300? If they win do they do a transfer to their account, then log onto yahoo and delete the emails or something, hope he doesnt check his history. I dont get the reasoning.

If he pays, id keep who he is a secret.
If he doesnt, let us know!!

Aequitas58 04-19-06 09:01 PM

See bold.

Spuddy 04-19-06 11:17 PM

Nice to see you worked it out..........

Now does TP ban the idiot?

left68wing 04-20-06 12:22 AM

i dunno if i'm the only one who would like to see this, but could you post the hand history from the 15/30 table he played? i think it could be potential comediac(sp) gold.

Spuddy 04-20-06 12:23 AM

Tremendous idea!

Aequitas58 04-20-06 12:35 AM

I thought about it. Unless Stars support is beyond-cooperative (which I don't think they would be for something like this...) it's just an impossibility. I had the "Aequitas58" account deleted, so I don't have access to it.

Aequitas58 04-20-06 12:37 AM

SO MANY PMs...

NO! This person isn't Chipfish. Jeez!

left68wing 04-20-06 12:39 AM

that is very disappointing, did you get to take a look at it?

Aequitas58 04-20-06 12:46 AM

No.

Talking Poker 04-20-06 01:42 AM

Are you SURE????????

:rolleyes:

ChipFish 04-20-06 11:08 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.:rolleyes:

Talking Poker 04-25-06 05:03 PM

It's Tuesday.

Status?

BrianSwa 04-25-06 05:25 PM

What

im probobly one of the most honest people you will ever meet. My stars account is still in tact and I knew Lou was lawyer. I would never EVER steal from anyone EVER did I mention ever. Before you go throwing names around be sure you really know what the hell your talking about.

since I have never ever stolen anything from anyone how would you even come up with that. Sorry I have to add on here I really want you to respond to tell me how you could possibly come to the conclusion to even imagine it would be me.

1. I have morals and I'am a good person so this would go against everything I believe in.
2. I dont know Lou good enough to have his personal info
3. im not computer smart enough to find out his info.
4. same as 1
5-100. same as #1

Talking Poker 04-25-06 05:44 PM

I assumed he was kidding when I read that, Brian.

Reel Deal 04-25-06 05:45 PM

OK, OK, I'll admit it... it was me. So you can stop guessing and bothering Lou.

We older lawyers like to play tricks like this on the younger ones, kinda of a hazying ritual. A right of passage if you will. All in good fun.

Talking Poker 04-25-06 05:46 PM

Well, thanks for fessing up. We all appreciate your honesty.

P.S. You're banned.

BrianSwa 04-25-06 05:49 PM

I hope so

im kinda behind in all the posts but stealing is something im real touchy about as I guess you can see. If he was kidding I appoligize for everything I said.

Reel Deal 04-25-06 05:50 PM

You sir, are welcome.