The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buddy of mine is goin to vegas (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5818)

Akverno 03-03-06 11:11 PM

Buddy of mine is goin to vegas

He wants to start the trip off on a lower max buy 1/2 nlhe table. I was hoping someone here knew a place that's lenient towards beginners in cash games of this sort. I'm going to take him to a card room around here and get his feet wet. Any ideas of where he should go?

Talking Poker 03-03-06 11:24 PM

Try the Excalibur. I haven't been there in years, but I've heard it's still a slow, laid back game.

Akverno 03-03-06 11:25 PM

Thanks a lot tp. That's near where he's stayin. How've things been with the cards lately?

Talking Poker 03-03-06 11:36 PM

Wouldn't know... haven't touched them for a while. I know you guys think I play all the time, but let's see..... in February, I played a whopping 7 MTTs, 0 SNGs, the 5000 hands of 6 max hell (that sucked), and then just the forum tourneys. That's it.

I'm going to the Caymans tomorrow and will be gone all week, so it looks like I won't even have a chance to get back in the swing of things until mid March.

Akverno 03-03-06 11:45 PM

eh, wasn't saying you play all the time, I don't get much of a chance to really read through the forums lately. Damn college and studying. I just remember last time I was around you were in the middle of a fairly bad slide till you cashed and split % w/ JD.

2Tone 03-04-06 12:23 AM

I second this

Excalibur is perfect for beginners. A fun, sloppy game is par for the course. Luxor, though an second-rate room, is also beginner-friendly. Avoid Mandalay Bay, Mirage, and the Bellagio.

Talking Poker 03-04-06 12:57 AM

Yeah, I know... wasn't saying that you were suggesting that. Was just pointing out the facts.

And yeah, I'm still down for 2006. Probably will be for a while too... No worries though - poker is a long term game!

badblood44 03-04-06 10:01 AM

I believe the Excalibur is 1/3, 200max buyin.
MGM is 1/2 200 max
Imperial Palace has 1/2 100 max
Luxor used to have 1/2 50 or 60 max, but it's been over a year since I've been there.

My absolute favorite place is the MGM card room.

johnp158 03-04-06 01:11 PM

MGM 1/2NL 200max is a really good room with lots of weak players.

Paris has 1/2NL 300max with REALLY weak players. The card room sucks and they don't have automatic shufflers so it's a little slower, but they had the softest game out of any that I played when I was there.

Caesar's new room is great. Their 1/2 NL is 500 max but when I was there nobody really bought in for the max so it wouldn't really hurt you to buy in for less. I really like the room a lot and when I played it seemed to be a mix of decent and pretty bad players.

That's about all I know firsthand. Oh and don't play Mandalay Bay. They have a 200max but it's 2/4NL. Not enough room to play with those blinds.