The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tiger Speaks (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16208)

Reel Deal 02-19-10 01:20 PM

Tiger Speaks

Crazy day here in Ponte Vedra. My office is about 800 yards from the TPC @ Sawgrass clubhouse where Tiger's "press conference" took place. Choppers were flying over head, TV production trucks, satellite trucks, security and police were all over the place. There was also a Michael Jordan sighting here this morning, so apparently Tiger is travelling with MJ.

If any of you watched, what are your thoughts? Did he appear to be sincere? Do you think he said everything he should have said? Anything he shouldn't have mentioned? Do you think he even needed to say anything publicly?

GTDawg 02-19-10 03:35 PM

I would've liked to see him just talk without reading from a paper. The looking straight in to the camera "I'm truly sorry" just seemed....off. I dunno. Just felt like there was a line on the paper that said "[MAKE SURE TO LOOK IN TO CAMERA] I'm truly sorry".

Other than that, meh. I'm really not sure what I expected.

I think it was lame that he tried to control the environment so much. Would've liked to have seen him answer questions. However, if this was part of therapy or something about taking responsibility and admitting fault...then a crazy environment where reporters would've pushed for sex details would not have been good.

All in all, there is only one thing I really care about.

Is he going to play in the Masters?

---
To add...
While I thought part of it was cheesy and maybe insincere, there were parts that made me think he was truly sorry and embarrassed.

To me, it didn't just seem like "Man, I'm sorry........that I got caught". It seemed like he knew that he screwed up and admitting that you were in therapy and working things out is pretty damn big when you're on TV in front of the entire world.

Talking Poker 02-19-10 06:07 PM

Heard a XM DJ mention this site in the car:

Robbie Robb 02-19-10 07:01 PM

I didn't watch it but if I were Tiger here's what my speech would have said:
"Dear Public. I don't need your adoration. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams. I don't need your money. Fuck All Y'All."

2Tone 02-19-10 07:45 PM

Why?

I was sure he was going to announce he would be returning on ... (whenever, but soon), and am disappointed he did not. Since he didn’t, I have to wonder why even bother with this? He already said he was sorry, and that he wants to treat it as a private matter. Why call a pseudo press conference just to say the same thing?

Wes 02-19-10 08:28 PM

So the masses have something to talk about other than people hating on the IRS.

Kurn 02-19-10 10:23 PM

hating the IRS AND flying a plane into a building is so much more interesting than Tiger Woods' private life.

JDMcNugent7 02-20-10 04:25 AM

pretty weak really, seemed so rehearsed, but whatever, he's human and he fucked up i could care less. shit i don't do anything cool like him and I've cheated on girls I really like a few times, with girls I could care less about. Think it'd be pretty east for anyone to find themselves in his shoes if they could have any girl they wanted whenever they wanted.

Kurn 02-20-10 08:24 AM

Bingo. As I've always said, the probability that a man will remain faithful is inversely proportional to opportunity.

Besides, Tiger's transgressions are way down on the scale of other bad things done by professional athletes. If I tried to list all of those worse than Tiger (proven or accused), this post would go on forever, starting with OJ, Rae Carruth, Kobe, Ray Lewis, Jim Brown, Warren Moon, Bobby Cox, etc.

Hell, Magic screwed around so much he got AIDS.

Talking Poker 02-20-10 11:15 AM

And he received love and pity for it.

Meanwhile, Steve McNair cheated and got shot by his crazy gf... and again, nothing but support for him.

Kurn 02-20-10 03:14 PM

If you've seen anything on the True Crime shows about McNair, there are many who have serious doubts that the GF was the killer.

Wes 02-20-10 03:38 PM

I don't think most people think that though.

Kurn 02-20-10 09:15 PM

Thus the status quo remains the status quo. :(

melioris 02-20-10 10:19 PM

First, Wes, look into that bookstore I recommend a long time ago to you in Austin........

Back to the OP, granted I am drunk off my ass on gin, but still, I think does a good job summing up.