The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Golf Handicaps (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7953)

Robbr25 08-18-06 05:44 PM

Golf Handicaps

Do professional golfers have handicaps ?
Or
Because they are professional they have a 0 handicap ?

thrash1294 08-18-06 06:20 PM

yes zero handicap.
also anyone who is a scratch goler has no handicap.

Reel Deal 08-18-06 06:41 PM

Actually you can have a hdcp better than zero... Tiger's hdcp is probably around -3 or -4

eejit101 08-18-06 07:37 PM

actually, its more like - 15.

The professional at my local course,w ith was a British Open championchip qualifying course, is -4, and tiger would cream him

PShabi 08-18-06 08:43 PM

Your education system failed you miserably.

Eejit and Swa are cousins.

Dodoubled 08-19-06 09:41 AM

Even if a professional golfer had a scratch handicap, a negative handicap or an 0.6 or a 1, none of it would matter. The handicap system is in place to allow average or novice golfers to compete on a balanced playing field with elite golfers. That's why at golf clubs, tournaments are generally broken down into a gross format (stroke-for-stroke) and a net format (stroke-plus-handicap), to make things fair.

You have to be a member of a golf club to establish a true handicap, which I think sucks. You also only need five rounds to establish an initial handicap, which I also think sucks. I think it used to be 10.

Here's some more information:

jillaj 08-19-06 12:36 PM

I am a solid 34. I really am happy that I am a double bogey golfer. :mad:

Robbr25 08-19-06 03:31 PM

Thanks that makes sense.

Defendant 08-20-06 01:50 AM

Aight lets clear this up, because there is a LOT of wrong information in this thread :)

To answer the original question: a professional does not carry a handicap. A handicap is designed to even the playingfield among amateurs, something that is not needed among professionals.

Just because you carry a handicap of 0 doesnt mean you have the stuff to be a professional either.

Oh and one other thing: Your typical golf handicap actually carries a negative number. Example: Bob just started playing a year ago and now has a handicap of -36. The sign is generally omitted for negative, and carried for positive. Example: John is playing great golf this year, shooting under par consistently. His handicap reflects this, as he now carries a handicap of +1.2.

EDIT: Well, guess i should have taken the time to read Dodoubled's post :P nonetheless, info stands.

Dodoubled 08-20-06 11:29 PM

Haha ... you added some pertinent info, though, defendant.

Oh, and I guess we should move the imminent discussion about "regular" pros vs. "touring" pros to another thread, too.

Defendant 08-21-06 07:50 AM

I assume by "regular" pros you mean your average country club teaching pro? It actually depends if hes just hired by the club to teach or if hes a certified PGA pro. I believe that the certified PGA pro has to drop his handicap and amateur status (correct me if Im wrong), but I have a good friend whos in the apprentice program (the PGAs training program for teaching pros), carries a 0.4 handicap and annoys me every year at the club championship by pulling a 3 under out of his ass :). So I guess you dont lose your amateur status until you finish the training program.