The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what's the best strat you got? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16407)

elisa 07-28-10 09:57 AM

what's the best strat you got?

what was that one strategy that keeps you winning? or what's your routine before playing poker live? well, as for me, i have no concrete strategy as of now as im still a beginner and learning the ropes.

sjay2k 07-28-10 03:48 PM

This is a great question and reminds me of the following story, which is entirely true.

Once I got an Ace and Ten, and I raised it up. "Raise!" I said and put some chips into the middle. A fat pale guy with a baseball cap on the other side of the table coughs and snorts few times, and puts an equal amount of chips into the pot.

Anyway the dealer - his name was Mike - clumsily deals the flop. But wow, I flop a straight and of course I bet the minimum amount. The fat guy does some Hollywooding by pretending that he doesn't care about the pot and tells me to stop touching his arm. After a small altercation the man raises me. Oh boy! So I sigh and go "all in" and shove my stack into the centre of the table. I thought it would be a good idea to look nervous by sweating but to my dismay I couldn't do it, which luckily made me start sweating.

The man thought for about 30 seconds and eventually called. I flipped over my Ace and Ten, and you wouldn't believe it but he flips over the same damn hand - Ace Ten (different suits of course!).

This was a "split pot" but I might have won the pot if I went all in preflop. Then I would have stolen the blinds and could have purchased a CD such as "Bridging the Gap" by Black Eyed Peas (who may i say lost me as a fan when they stopped writing lyrics).

I hope this has been helpful.

sjay2k 07-28-10 04:04 PM

In addendum:

"Focus on this, the ear seductionist
More the lyricist in this rap metropolis
More like an activist, we give it to you all
Presentation will make you have a ball
"
-- Fallin' Up (1998)

"I mix your milk wit my cocoa puff,
Milky, milky cocoa,
Mix your milk with my cocoa puff, milky, milky riiiiiiight
"
-- "My Humps", 2005

melioris 07-28-10 05:07 PM

I think I understand your strategy mostly, although I am not sure about the arm touching part. I mean, aren't you afraid of germs?

Zybomb 07-28-10 06:49 PM

I personally would've grabbed his cards while he was deciding for 30 seconds and thrown them into the muck. Then my hand is the only live one left, thus the pot is mine!!!

2Tone 07-28-10 07:50 PM

Relevant inquiry

Villain in this hand was overweight? What was he doing with all that ass, all that ass, inside dem jeans?

MAYHEM45 07-29-10 03:24 AM

I <3 this thread

Talking Poker 07-30-10 01:47 AM

This thread is awesome, and sjay is my hero.

sjay2k 07-31-10 10:57 AM

Normally I like to grope my opponents pre-flop, but here I decided to mix it up and make a move on the flop.