The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   TP Suggestions/Problems (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do we increase participation??? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16421)

Kurn 08-11-10 04:21 PM

How do we increase participation???

Do we need a freeroll somewhere, a $5 tournament, a league, or something that might bring new blood, or infuse energy from the old blood?

I try to go back and get something out of 2+2, but with the possible exception of the Stud board, it's still way too much a zoo. I mean, there was just a discussion in the *Poker Theory* board with people suggesting that Daniel N and Doyle aren't equal to the new breed of player because they don't think past level 1??

Now despite the fact that I think saying that Doyle doesn't think at a high level because he doesn't use terms like "segmented range" and "air" is ridiculous, I agree that analyzing the differences between old line and new players is valid, but in that insane asylum, it turns nasty 3 posts in.

That's one reason why I gravitated to TP. people would challenge you, but in an adult, professional way (most of the time :D ).

What can we do to get the ball rolling here?

lightfungus 08-11-10 06:45 PM

I think a lot of people seemed to have stopped playing as much poker. I know I have, and I don't check the boards nearly as often as I used to because of it.

I think the poker industry in general is down and getting new blood will be tough.

Zybomb 08-11-10 07:57 PM

I disagree. The WSOP this past year was the largest ever since the gaming law which prevented online sites from directly signing up satty winners to the event, and the 2nd largest ever period.

I agree the games are getting significantly harder both online and live (and live the rake is getting larger and larger making the game even more difficult to beat) and peoples concepts of the game are at way higher levels making them less appealing though

MAYHEM45 08-12-10 12:27 AM

Blowjobs. Blowjobs for everyone.

Talking Poker 08-12-10 02:01 PM

I honestly don't know.

Fildy 08-12-10 04:16 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. I hear there are free blowjobs somewhere around here?

Talking Poker 08-13-10 12:45 PM

Bathtubs in NYC.

Or so I heard.

melioris 08-13-10 07:43 PM

I came.

Regarding the OP and this is probably my best pun in the past year.

Find that freakshow canadian woman and get her to start posting again. I can't remember her name.

Robbie Robb 08-13-10 08:43 PM

Which one? Bunny or Rookette?

Personally speaking, it's simply a lack of time. School is kinda kicking my ass (don't worry though - my grades reflect the amount of time I'm putting into it). I'm lucky if I can squeeze in one or two SNGs during the weekend. If I get really lucky I can play the Twitter League on Stars the occasional Sunday.

I go out on co-op in January. That *should* be just a regular 9-5 type position that doesn't have any homework or anything so for 4 months I should be able to play semi-regularly again. Then it's back to the school grind for another 4, then co-op. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I know I've never been a great participant in the discussion threads but I do read almost every one of them and pick up tips constantly.

In the past year a couple of our more regular posters have more-or-less withdrawn from the online poker world - Invig and de-coder.

We got a few people join from PTP thanks to TP's involvement there but sadly it doesn't appear if any of them stuck around. Maybe it's that the experienced players have already found a forum home they're comfortable with (as I'm sure we have here) and aren't really looking elsewhere. The n00b's are being drawn to the bigger sites (2+2, PTP, P5s, etc) and miss our little slice of heaven here. Which is really unfortunate as I think that our group is far friendlier and far more welcoming than some of the regulars on the big boards.

Zybomb 08-14-10 06:08 AM

bunny = rookette

New Guy 08-14-10 07:51 PM

League !!!!!!! With added money from tp

Talking Poker 08-15-10 12:30 AM

Hold your breath.

PShabi 08-15-10 01:16 PM

Hot Tub Time Machine