The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poker Stars to the Rescue! (FTP players to be refunded) (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16709)

Reel Deal 07-31-12 08:31 PM

Poker Stars to the Rescue! (FTP players to be refunded)

Breaking news:

Spidey44 08-01-12 04:41 PM

I'll believe it when I get it! But...appears to be good news!

Kurn 08-01-12 09:30 PM

US players will not get refunded by 'Stars.We will have to file a claim with the DOJ for our money.

Spidey44 08-02-12 09:37 AM

I'm sure that won't be a major pain in the ass.

Talking Poker 08-02-12 05:36 PM

Yeah, not a huge fan of this part, but hell, it's a lot better than things were looking a week ago.

The latest I am reading is the DOJ is talking about possibly NOT refunding "winnings," or you know, the majority of the balances everyone with a substantial amount of money locked up would have. Losing players would likely have small balances, winners much larger ones.

I think it would be so very difficult to track an account's entire deposit/withdraw/play history to determine that though, so hopefully they just let everyone cash out in full.

I still have faith.

Kurn 08-02-12 08:43 PM

Everything government touches is a major pain in the ass.

GTDawg 08-03-12 05:37 PM

Said someone posting to a message board on the internet.

Also, I'm pretty sure Full Tilt did just fine running themselves in to the ground and laundering $400m without the government touching it.

Kurn 08-03-12 08:37 PM

But they only had to do it because the US government shut down their source of financing. C'mon, GT, when did you become a fan of Kyl, Goodlatte and the rest of the social conservatives?

I'm not excusing FullTilt for their wrongdoing, be consider this. PokerStars are the good guys here because they were better at bank fraud than FullTilt. But, the bottom line is they don't get into trouble if there's no UIGEA stuffed in the Safe Ports Bill at the 11th hour by the Christian nanny-state right.

GTDawg 08-03-12 08:54 PM

I'm not a fan of Kyl, Goodlatte or any of the social conservatives whatsoever. The idea that internet gambling (online poker) is regulated in such a way is absolutely retarded in every way, shape, and form. It is beyond stupid that moral judgments on gambling prevent people from doing whatever the f*ck they want with their own money is stupid.

However, my issue was more with your stupid generalization.

Government bad. Private enterprise awesome. Hurr.

You can make your point without simplifying it to such a silly talking point.

GTDawg 08-03-12 08:57 PM

Bob Goodlatte is a double dumbass for being the original sponsor for SOPA, too.

He should be punched in the face for taking industry money and crafting an idiotic bill that does nothing but destroy the internet as we know it.

Kurn 08-03-12 09:15 PM

Point taken. Being relegated to playing on Bovada makes me cranky. I can admit that not everything government does is bad (sort of like understanding you never say "always" or "never" in poker). That being said, when you give government too much power, you get sh*t like the UIGEA, the TSA, the Patriot Act, TARP, the "War on Drugs", perpetual war...well, you get the point.

On the positive side, how about those Red So....ah sh*t. never mind.

GTDawg 08-03-12 09:43 PM

The internet, interstate highway system, going to the f*cking moon, atomic energy, clean food/air/water, and a dozen other things, as well.

The "free market" gave us sweatshops, company towns, and economic depression.

You know what happens when you give private enterprise too much power? The Blackwater Baghdad shootings.

Within 2 minutes, anybody could find a dozen things that the government has done wrong. And, 2 minutes after that, you can find a dozen things that private enterprise or the free market has screwed up.

Advocating a blind adherence to either view is wrong-headed.

Invigilator 08-03-12 10:20 PM

For me it's all blah blah blah until US players are back on the market.

Wes 08-05-12 02:21 AM

Give anybody a majority in something and it is most likely bound to do its business not as efficiently.

Pretty much still fucked with ub I guess.

Robbie Robb 08-11-12 01:16 PM

This. When the market reopens to U.S. players it will be like the heavens have opened up and the angels are smiling down on players from other countries again. :D