The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beats and Brags (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   how i went broke on partypoker (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140)

johnbaker 10-25-04 05:40 PM

how i went broke on partypoker

this isnt such a terrible beat, but i was awestruck when it happened to me.

i had been on tilt all day, playing very badly, i went from $90 to $11 on party in a few hours (from playing SNGs). I was like 'ok, last 11, ill play a 10+1 sng'

I play for a while, played pretty conservatively early on. I started getting blinded down with 4 people left and the blinds at 50/100. I get Q4o in the big blind, 2 limpers, i check. Flop is Q49 rainbow. UTG bets, other guy folds, i go all in for 700ish. he shows aces, im like wow im about to break aces.... turn is an 8 river is a 9. i wouldnt have been so pissed normally, but that was my last money on party lol.... not a good feeling to go broke by some stupid counterfeitting.

-jB

bothecorgi 10-25-04 07:48 PM

Thats standard at Party - Q4 off suit never holds up. LOL

johnbaker 10-25-04 08:23 PM

hhahhah what are u talking abuot, Q4o is one of the strongest party hands... ALWAYS breaks my aces.

the first time my aces have ever been broken was in a home game vs a friend's Q4o.. strange isnt it

-jB

Charlie Frank 10-26-04 05:59 PM

Mr. Baker,

I sympathize with your Q4o not holding up - against AA! Terrible!

I think it is clear that you are not really financially capable of playing me for $1000 - it was probably unfair of me to challenge you like that. If you ever manage to scrape some money together and have a REALLY good run in your 10+1 Sit and Go's, please don't hesitate to let me know and we will have that match when you can afford it.

God bless.

CF

2Tone 10-26-04 11:02 PM

shouldn’t happen

With all due respect … that just shouldn’t happen. Not your quasi-bad beat – I mean playing badly and losing that many SNGs in a row. As I’m sure you know, discipline and emotional control are necessities. If you are aware you are playing anything other than your best game, it’s time to stop. You’re A game can weather the bad beats and still end up on the winning end. Playing badly, they’ll leave you with nothing but a not so bad beat story to post.

Sorry. I guess it was time for my righteous asshole post.

Jackass_man 10-26-04 11:13 PM

"As I’m sure you know, discipline and emotional control are necessities"

They are wow I wish somebody would've told me that before I lost $400 before noon. It's ok 'cause having money for food and bills is overrated anyways. Gee maybe this is why I live in a trailer park in the first place.

Tuff Luck 10-26-04 11:24 PM

$400 before noon?? lol damn..

eddo31 10-26-04 11:27 PM

i think you are mistaken about losing a couple of sng's in a row.

in walterzueys livejournal he showed his stats from 1000 sng's he had something like a 40% rate of ending up in the money, yet he endured a losing streak of at least 18 straight. and he plays th 215 sngs. he concluded that this type of variance was well within what could be expected, and wasnt even really that close to a worst case scenarion.

so with that in mind, going from 90 to 11 isnt that extreme, even if you are playing the 5+1 sngs.

2Tone 10-27-04 12:24 AM

Negative results not the problem

Sure -- losing streaks happen. And it is quite likely you can be be playing very good poker and still lose a whole series on SNGs in a row, though that would represent some tough luck. The problem isn't short term results -- it's continuing to play when you know you aren't playing your best, which is a sure way to lose.

Charlie Frank 10-27-04 01:18 PM

I think it has been well-established from JohnBaker's own posts that his "A-game" isn't even a break-even proposition.

CF

GeoffM 10-27-04 01:26 PM

You live in a trailer park too? Which one? ;) :p

eddo31 10-27-04 01:36 PM

man, all you canadians are giving your country a bad name. i thought the us had everyone else in the world trumped in the white trailer park trash category?

Tilter 10-27-04 09:49 PM

Ouch dude. But dam, blew your whole roll. got to know when to start over on Side games.

junYUN 10-31-04 05:13 PM

it's ok, we all have bad days.