The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   poker 100% luck? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4018)

drizzel_121 11-25-05 03:45 PM

poker 100% luck?

alot of ppl say that poker has alot of luck and no skill what so ever . give me your thoughts about this, 100% luck or 100% skill?

wdson01 11-25-05 03:47 PM

whats 100% luck is if you get into that freeroll....which you wont if you keep making these damn posts

ytock 11-25-05 04:00 PM

hahahaa well said mate but give the guy a break most of his posts are pretty informative, ive looked at urs and have u bin letting those kindergarten kids post for u again? :) jk

culver boy 11-25-05 05:53 PM

haha, doesnt everyone want to get into the freeroll? by the way drizzel, poker isnt 100% luck. it does take some skill to be good. think, dont you always see some familiar faces when watching poker on tv? they cant get lucky EVERY time, can they?

Penguinfan 11-25-05 06:25 PM

Poker, especially hold em is all about the bad beat. You need skill, but you have to avoid the bad beats. Tournaments where my good hands hold up are the ones I go deep in.

When you KK loses to 77 it has nothing to do with skill.

Gordogg 11-25-05 06:37 PM

Poker is 90% luck. The other half is skill.

PShabi 11-25-05 06:55 PM

Your fractions are all fucked up Gdogg.

Stick to 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2s. ;)

GPalmaT20 11-25-05 07:03 PM

Skill

There is no luck involved with bluffing.

Gordogg 11-25-05 07:12 PM

LOL

I hope at least one person recognizes the inspiration for my quote.

drizzel_121 11-25-05 08:09 PM

thanks

thanks for all your replies ill see everyone at the tourney thats happening in 2 hours rite pokerflea? see yah there

iwinurmoney 11-25-05 09:20 PM

i think that it takes skill to choose the right hands and to play them, but the cards that show on the table are almost all luck.
soo i think that its about 50:50. ..... im not sure. :confused:

chrisash 11-27-05 03:32 PM

I think on the ring tables their are alot of jokers out there. They pretty much call anything. But when you play int he tourneys seems like alot more people are more picky and choosy.

So bottom line in thourneys its skill and in ring tables ...well GOOD LUCK :D

HEwong 11-27-05 03:36 PM

it a bit of both you can never be 100% skill.. you could be ll luck if your going all in everyhand and wiing everytime but the more you play practice and learn about all the aspects of poker ansd learn startegies or styles, the pecentage of luck decreases and the percentage of skill increases.

PShabi 11-27-05 04:17 PM

That last line is probably THE STUPIDEST thing I've ever read (not counting any of Brian's posts) on this board.

Ando05 11-27-05 04:27 PM

i dont believe in luck while playing poker, if you have the skill you will always come out on top at the end. but luck doesnt last forever.

did you guys watch kantar during the main event, he hit every card on the river. some call it luck, but guess it ran out at the end.

i think poker is 100% skill, and by this i am not saying by playing one hand, i mean by playing for years. it will pay off if you have skill

left68wing 11-27-05 05:27 PM

Well it obviously cannot be 100% skill either. Even if you are in the most dominant of positions and play everything the way you are suppose to, someone can hit runner runner and you can go broke. I still think its about 3:1 ration skill to luck but like the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good.

olysports 11-27-05 05:31 PM

I think it is more luck then skill in freerolls where people go allin every hand for the first 20 minutes. But in real money tournaments, i think it is 50% luck and 50% skill because there are always those rivers that beat you to make the game have luck involved.

Ando05 11-27-05 09:02 PM

you didnt get what i said, i said at the beginning you might be down, but if you got skill then you will be up, if you play for a couple of years.
so i am saying when you play poker for years skill takes over luck. so its 100% skill

Talking Poker 11-27-05 10:47 PM

But of course: Yogi Berra.

Sad how this forum has gotten so annoying recently that I feel myself sighing more than replying, but I'll add my two cents in this thread anyway: There is a lot of SHORT TERM luck in poker (one card, one hand, one tournament/session, one week, one month, etc), but in the long run (one lifetime), "luck" evens out for everyone and the most skilled players are the ones holding all the money.

Like I always say, it's just math.

Gordogg 11-28-05 02:17 AM

Ding ding ding! Thank god somebody got that reference. I guess there aren't many old school baseball fans on here.

FYI, this will blow over after the freeroll. I'm betting on it. Prop bets anyone? Heh.

chrisash 11-28-05 04:02 PM

skill unless your playing with idiots that call everything and anything

Reel Deal 11-28-05 04:05 PM

Chicks like guys with skills. :cool:

X-Longshot-X 11-28-05 04:08 PM

I believe there was actually a special on a WSOP segment or a WPT segment about this, Luck does help you a lot in HL HE tournies, BUT, if you do not have the skill to last long enoungh to get lucky you are in trouble, another quote ive seen is that poker is luck and skill luck keeps the bad players coming back and skill keeps the good players coming back, i would personally rather be skillfull than lucky any day....

Tony Cheval 11-28-05 05:37 PM

'I find the harder I work, the luckier I get.'

X-Longshot-X 11-28-05 05:39 PM

Nice quote tony, it even fits my idea.