The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Go, Phillies, Go!!! (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14819)

Talking Poker 10-27-08 12:22 AM

Go, Phillies, Go!!!

3 Attachment(s)
What a game tonight. Last night's was awesome because of how close it was and how great the ending was, and tonight's what great because the Phillies put on a clinic!

Let's end this at home tomorrow night, so I'm not tempted to drive to Tampa Bay and pay a fortune for scalped tickets Thursday night.

MAYHEM45 10-27-08 12:28 AM

no shoutout for showing you those pics? :mad:

Talking Poker 10-27-08 12:29 AM

P.S. Thanks to Mayhem for linking me to those pics.

:rolleyes:

Robbie Robb 10-27-08 12:31 AM

I was going to say that I'm guessing that's not your fiancée. (Are you used to that word yet?)

Thanks Mayhem for the find!

lightfungus 10-27-08 01:06 AM

What's this? Engaged?

Talking Poker 10-27-08 01:52 AM

Correct. Although I bet I could talk her into that if we went down to Fantasy Fest this weekend.

Talking Poker 10-27-08 01:53 AM

JDMcNugent7 10-27-08 01:46 PM

i was gonna be so happy if that was your soon to be wife

Kurn 10-29-08 10:02 PM

Congrats to the Phillies. Great season, great championship. :cheers:

Now, please please please go out and sign Manny. Not that I wish your team bad at all, but if he hated Boston, Philly will make his head explode. :D

Talking Poker 10-29-08 10:22 PM

:):D:thumbsup::cheers::cheers::cheers::thumbsup::D :)

Aequitas58 10-29-08 10:24 PM

He isn't called 'Lights Out Lidge' for nuthin.

:cheers:

Robbr25 10-30-08 12:16 AM

To all those Phillies fans out there, Congrats !

Dodoubled 10-30-08 12:23 AM

Boom ... goes the dynamite.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Robbie Robb 10-31-08 12:16 PM

Way to go Phillies! Now MLB should strip the team of its win due to the damage caused by its "fans". No win, no asterisk. Just a simple note in the record books that "no world series trophy was presented this year".

Isn't the US the most litigous country on the planet? Should these car owners, business owners, and the city itself be suing the team (and perhaps MLB itself) for damages? Isn't the American way to sue everyone and eventually someone with deep pockets pays?

I know MLB would never strip a title because of this but they should. And so should the NHL and any other league where the fans go on a destructive rampage because of some silly piece of metal.

For the Phillies fans on here - doesn't the actions of those so-called "fans" anger you and make you feel disgraced?

okay. all done. let the flaming begin.

Aequitas58 10-31-08 02:21 PM

>> I know MLB would never strip a title because of this but they should.

No they shouldn't, don't be so naive. This happens in most cities when championships are won.

>> Should these car owners, business owners, and the city
>> itself be suing the team (and perhaps MLB itself) for damages?

Neither MLB nor the Phillies caused damage. Drunk fans did. (These fans being probably less than 3% of the total fan base.) While you're trying to make a case, why not sue the Philadelphia Police Dept. for not having adequate coverage at every possible location?

>> Isn't the American way to sue everyone and eventually someone
>> with deep pockets pays?

Weird statement. What's next... a post about Obama being a terrorist? LOL.

>> For the Phillies fans on here - doesn't the actions of
>> those so-called "fans" anger you and make you feel disgraced?

No. Damage was expected. It is unfortunate that some businesses and cars suffered damage, but hey, file your insurance claim and move on with it.

(Did you think this post through before spewing it out and pressing Submit?)

<3 :thumbsup:

Reel Deal 10-31-08 03:15 PM

Obama's a terrorist.

Aequitas58 10-31-08 04:59 PM

To the moon, Alice!

Robbie Robb 10-31-08 09:53 PM

I did think it through and I knew that there would be a response exactly like this. What I don't understand is why people think it's okay for there to be damage. I know it's happened before, I know it will happen again. That doesn't mean it should be tolerated. European Football fans are just as bad. I'm sure there's been idiocy up here in Canada too although I can't think of anything (maybe that's because the last time the Leafs won the Cup I wasn't born. I don't recall any damage/violence from the Jays sorta-back-to-back series wins in the early 90's). With regards to my statement that the MLB should strip the title - how many years in a row do you think they'd have to do it before a Series Title doesn't equal mayhem and destruction in the home town? (maybe this is just me being optimistic that people learn...)

As for my statement about the American way being sue everyone and eventually someone with deep enough pockets pays - there's nothing weird about it. Only in America would you have idiots suing McDonald's because they're too stupid to realize that coffee is hot or that fast food will make you fat. I realize these actions aren't representative of the largest section of the American population but the fact that nothing has been changed to stop this idiotic lawsuits is a good indication that nobody wants it to change. Almost every type of misfortune or tragedy in the U.S. is followed up a day or two later with a lawsuit.

I guess what surprises me most about your response Lou is that you seem perfectly fine with vandals going out and causing millions of dollars of damage by stating "it's to be expected." That right there says a lot about the state of society today. Maybe that should have been my point in the original post: Society has degenerated to the point where no one is upset or surprised by this ghoulish mob mentality behaviour. Sigh.

Robbie Robb 10-31-08 09:57 PM

Thinking about it a bit more, you're right - it was ridiculous of me to suggest stripping the title from them. It wouldn't do any good anyway. My apologies for that suggestion. Stupid people will always be stupid people and do stupid things in the name of "celebration".

Aequitas58 11-01-08 12:56 AM

// What I don't understand is why people think
// it's okay for there to be damage.

Most people don't think it's ok for there to be damage. It's only the select few (let's call them "damage dealers") who can't seem to be excited about a championship and drunk at the same time. Unfortunately, the non-damage dealing majority population has come to expect this sort of behavior.

// I know it's happened before, I know it will happen again.

Especially again next year, when the Phillies win again, baby! Pew Pew illegal firework!!

// That doesn't mean it should be tolerated.

It isn't. Rioters were arrested. Maybe not all of them, but efforts were taken by the Police to have a full staff and respond accordingly.

// I guess what surprises me most about your response
// Lou is that you seem perfectly fine with vandals going
// out and causing millions of dollars of damage by stating
// "it's to be expected."

Bad assumption, Rob.

Aequitas58 11-01-08 12:59 AM

You're right, stipping the title would do no good. More importantly, it doesn't make any sense.

Talking Poker 11-01-08 02:56 PM

I predict stripping the title would result in about 10x more violence and destruction in future years. I mean, say the Rays beat the Phillies - wouldn't that be a great excuse for Phillies fans to destroy Tampa, so the title is stripped from them?

It's not like the drunk idiots are thinking rationally (obviously, right?).

So yeah, horrible suggestion.

And this sort of behavior isn't exactly new, or unique to Philly or even any major sport. Does that mean I condone it? Of course not... just stating the obvious.