The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Poker on TV (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OMFG LAYDOWN SET OF 10s (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2822)

junYUN 08-09-05 10:27 PM

OMFG LAYDOWN SET OF 10s

did you guys just see that guy on the circuit event lay down the set of 10s?

WTF!!

PShabi 08-09-05 10:51 PM

No.

Was he right?

johnp158 08-09-05 11:26 PM

Hell no he wasn't. There WAS a broadway possible on the board (KJT I think), but there was definitely no sign of huge strength from anybody. He was facing a bet and a call, and that's it. It was pitiful. Pocket QQ ended up winning over a busted flush draw.

I felt bad for the guy. He looked really stupid.

Zybomb 08-10-05 12:02 AM

He probably wanted to duplicate Frangos's QQ pre flop fold -- unfortunately Frangos' situation was much more cut and dry, and while this guy ried to look like a poker genius he ended up looking foolish ... for the time being at least

lightfungus 08-10-05 12:36 AM

Yeah, that was funny. But, as was said, in his effort to make an amazing fold he dropped the ball big time, he coulda made a ton of chips on that had too. It was three way, and your right, no one had been to aggressive. Anyhoo, Phil made a dude fold too when he had the best hand, the guy who won it. Later though, that guy called Phil out on the hand that won the tourney. I must say though, in a time when I start to get bored of the poker on TV (I was actually trying to switch to that Adam Corolla show that looks awful), this was the best episode I have seen in a while. I saw a lot of good poker plus crazy beats and stuff. Yay for poker on tv.

PS. Phil Ivey is now my favorite poker player. I didnt have one before but the guy looks too goofy on TV not to like him. Plus, he has balls. But most importantly, you can tell he LOVES the game, and isn't that what we are here for?

Talking Poker 08-10-05 12:44 AM

Ivey is awesome. Totally intense.

I can't wait for Tivo to record this week's episode for me...

BrianSwa 08-10-05 07:37 AM

yep

Ivey was awsome but think when he got heads up he kinda just gave up.

laying down those set of tens was dumb, it was soooo suprising when he folded them.

Eman885 08-10-05 11:41 PM

i thought it was an ok laydown. Look at how Pham played it. He raised before the flop, and then checks it, then check-calls. i don't know about you but that shows some strength to me. But even if i knew i was beat i wouldn't laydown 3 10's lol

Talking Poker 08-11-05 04:12 PM

I finally saw this. It was a HORRIBLE laydown. If you're going to fold a set of 10s, let it go preflop! What was he looking for? Top set? Quads? Come on....

When the turn was checked to him, I thought he was making a mistake by checking (the board was getting dangerous), but when the third guy bet, I thought he'd be gold with the all-in check raise. I couldn't even believe it when he folded.

I guess he was just in survival mode, hoping to sneak up a few spots. That's not how I play, but to each their own. If you are going to play like that though, fold preflop!

The funny thing was when he told Ivey and Pham what he had, they didn't even believe him. LOL.

JDMcNugent7 08-12-05 03:20 AM

i dont get how the hell this guy made it to the fianl table, he also played extremely tight throughout the rest of the final table too.

Defendant 08-29-05 08:43 AM

Actually, almost everyone I talked to is convinced that this hand was forged by ESPN. If you watch, you only see one of his 10s, and it really seems like they guessed for the other one. The way the hand played out, it really seems a lot more likely that he had A10 or something like that.

Paul Philips posted something about this in his blog too:

About half way down the page

junYUN 08-29-05 01:28 PM

you're talking about the wrong hand bro

the laydown of the set of tens was legit... did you see how the guy reacted when the hands were shown?

the hand phillips talks about is lisandro vs ivey TT vs 99 on 4445 board.

he even writes this at the bottom

Defendant 08-29-05 06:52 PM

Ah oops :) my bad

Reel Deal 08-30-05 10:17 AM

Is this guy a pro?

junYUN 08-30-05 01:09 PM

no some schmuck

Haggs 10-29-05 12:46 AM

How is Ivey goofy lookin? but yeah I agree, hes sick. Top 5 players right now in my opinion (not ranked)

-Hellmuth
-Negraneau
-Ivey
-Lederer
-Chan

Talking Poker 10-29-05 01:58 AM

Funny... I don't see my name on that list. Oh.... right.......... :D

That's a solid list. But where's Chip Reese? How about Ted Forrest, who has been playing awesome poker lately? It's too hard to make a list. I gave up on that long ago...

Good idea for a new thread though (even though I'm sure it's been done).

Gordogg 10-29-05 02:46 PM

Hellmuth sucks. What has he done lately? He won the heads up championship, that's it. Does Hellmuth know how to play any other game besides NLHE? He won nine bracelets (all nlhe btw) but when is the last time he won a bracelet? There are many players you could replace Hellmuth with on your list, a.k.a. Doyle, Todd Brunson, Alan Cunningham, Matusow etc...

JDMcNugent7 10-29-05 05:44 PM

i think josh arieh is real good too. he would be on my top 5.

omahilo 10-30-05 10:24 AM

Hellmuth has all his bracelets in holdem... not just NLHE. 5 NLHE bracelets, 3 Limit holdem bracelets, and 1 PLHE bracelet.

Phil has also made several PLO and O8 WSOP FTs. I know he finished 2nd to Scotty Nguyen in an O8 event before and this yrs PLO final table with all the big names.

its much easier to win a NLHE event (aleast back in the day) because you had some dead money while the omaha and stud events had almost no dead money.

its harder to win a NLHE event now because there is so much dead money that its hard to get through the field without alot of luck and very skilled play.

BDMK 11-30-05 01:11 AM

i just saw this on sunday during the WSOPC mini-marathon on ESPN, and i have to say, it was one of the most awful, embarrassing moments ive seen in poker on TV, at least at that level (final table of a major live event).

he had no rational, good reason to fold there. the board wasn't nearly 'dangerous' enough, and all the action to that point indicated he should have been in good shape, as indeed he was.

just horrible.

Reel Deal 11-30-05 10:19 AM

Yeah, I saw that again on Sunday too... loved Ivey's reaction when he looked at the guy like he was nuts and said, "You're kidding right?" Too funny!

captain_festival 11-30-05 04:09 PM

idunno laying down any set shows good disciplin??....i havnt seen it so i really cant coment any furthur....

Talking Poker 11-30-05 04:58 PM

Good discipline? :confused:

This was one of the worst folds in the history of poker. LOL.

S2peck02 11-30-05 06:26 PM

yea

yeah ive seen a guy in real like lay down a full house b4 which was good bcuz the other guy hit 4 of a kind lol