The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Limit Hold em Cash Games (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287)

Penguinfan 11-06-04 04:50 PM

Limit Hold em Cash Games

Especially lower limits, is it a MOSTLY mechanical process for you or what? Meaning that if you have a certain starting hand in certain positions you will raise or call, and if xxx flops you will bet or check accordingly. Of course I know you must react to the strength and skill of your opponents, but for the most part is this a mechanical game to you?

brokeagain 11-06-04 05:09 PM

gotta mix it up, never play ant two the same

junYUN 11-06-04 05:28 PM

i can't think of a time i ever played "mechanically" like you mention it, i always like to look at the other players, chip stacks, location at the table, where we are in the tourny, what cards are on the board yada yada... and i will make gut decisions that go against "mechanical" poker at least a few times per game

Kidd7138 11-06-04 05:32 PM

Playing straight mechanical poker will make you too easily readable after somet time. Even in limit games you have to change it up every now and then so people don't get used to the way you're playing.

Penguinfan 11-06-04 06:14 PM

Not a tourny, just in cash games.

Kidd7138 11-06-04 06:45 PM

I think the main goal in a limit game is just to play smart and not make stupid decisions. You can't just play mechanically based solely on your cards, but it is much more mechanical than NL games.

2Tone 11-07-04 01:02 AM

90/10

Both on Party and 3/6 B&M here in Seattle, I'm best off grinding it out. Playing "right" will inevitably make me more money than trying to get too fancy, or overthinking my opponets. There are exceptions more so, in B&M than online, but at least 90% of the time I'm playing by the book. Perhaps this is why I'm still at the lower limits!

hackers238 11-07-04 01:14 AM

Yeah, limit gets too boring for me, because i feel there is seldom a lot of action. I do agree though, that online with the number of fish it is very possibly to just grind out a decent amount playing 100% by the book, as long as no one else picks up on it. I like the feel of NL, where a player can push all-in whenever they want.

I LIKE the swings

Talking Poker 11-07-04 03:27 AM

Limit cash games are very mechanical. Play solid and play enough hands (anything can happen in the short run), and you'll win. Start getting cute, and all you are doing is adding leaks to your game.

Penguinfan 11-07-04 08:34 AM

My point though is that they don't pick up on it, THEY DON'T PAY ATTENTION and over an 8 hour session playing cards 100 new faces come and go at any given lower limit table.

Thanks, I really think this to be true, now I gotta work on the mechanics a bit, quit losing the 1 or 2 extra pots/bets a session and all should be good next year, right? :D

Jackass_man 11-07-04 01:26 PM

Ah, did you read the title of the post, maybe you should read it again. Anyways when I play low limits I play pretty mechanical. Occasionally I will play a hand like KJ offsuit after 2 raises if I notice a guy on the tilt. Playing
mechanical is a sound strategy especially in low limits, limiting your starting playing hands to the top ten or twenty playable hands will be a big winner overall, since the majority of you're opponents won't be able to play a disiplined as you.

Tuff Luck 11-07-04 02:58 PM

I find it boring, and I'd even use the term mechanical too. I try to change up, but sometimes it's hard.

ChipFish 11-07-04 03:14 PM

Mechanical only n cash games on-line... Someone already said it... New faces jump in and out all the time. Getting cute will only cost you more than it will make you.
Tourneys can be different in the later stages assuming you have been playing with some of the same guys for hours at a time.
I will try and attack tilters when I have a nothing hand and they have a short stack. (nothing like the feeling of taking down a pot with an all-in bet and flashing 7-2....)
Freaks them all right out. ;)

eddo31 11-07-04 08:57 PM

if i am multi-tabling i play very mechanical. yeah, deception is nice, and is important, but when playing a couple of tables at once, i think that consistency is more important. plus, as others have said, not many people are actually paying much attention.

i do this playing either he or o8b.