The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking to start a HU experiment... (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15596)

claudioxcore 07-10-09 04:21 AM

Looking to start a HU experiment...

So, 9-mans are slowly killing me. I'm starting to believe they just aren't as profitable as they were a couple years ago.
Not that I've given them up completely, but I'm looking to mix in new games to keep myself from going insane.

So I was considering doing a HU $6.50 turbo run. 500-600 games maybe.

Anyone know what a good Heads Up SNG roi is? The best I've seen is around 25%, but I'm not gonna say I'm a HU professional.

I've been playing 4 at a time the last few days. They've been lasting about 10 minutes per. So logically, that's around 16-20 an hour. We'll say 16.

16 x 6 hours a day = 96 HU sng's a day.

96 x 6.50 = $624

$624 x 10%(for numbers sake) = $62.40 a day.

Not bad.

But if I can't hold at least an 8% ROI, it's not worth my time.

Just looking for some input.

TP, you're a HU grinder, tell me what you think?

And anyone else that has any familiarity with this subject?

:cheers:

Zybomb 07-10-09 06:20 AM

25% :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

thats insane.

Most of the top HU SNG players are 5%-8%, just high stakes and volume

BlibbityBlabbity 07-10-09 09:03 AM

Check out TP's stats in the first post here....

claudioxcore 07-10-09 12:37 PM

Talking Poker 07-10-09 12:53 PM

Two things:

1. Buy in will greatly affect your ROI. As you move up, your ROI will go down.

2. I don't think it's the best idea to look at the best two players in the world for your buy in level and do any math based on their numbers.

I understand you were cutting those numbers in half, but I still don't see that even being a good starting point. I mean, you could just as easily be half as bad as the worst HU player in the world and have a very large -ROI, right? It's silly to do any type of long term grinding projections until you have played a bunch and started to establish your own ROI.

So start playing, work on your game, and see how you are doing. Practice smart BR management and things will fall into place.

Just because running at 8% in $6.50s may not seem worth your time, if you are able to eventually run at 5% in $110s, it might. But you have to work up to that. Take it one step at a time.

claudioxcore 07-10-09 12:59 PM

You're right, I should probably stop making blind assumptions of what kind of ROI I could hold without putting in the volume.

I'm going to start putting in the volume and seeing how it goes. I'll come back and post numbers as I get to certain milestones in the grind.

Thanks for the input guys! :cheers:

Talking Poker 07-10-09 04:02 PM

One more thing I wanted to mention to you.... 4 tables sounds like a lot to me for a beginning HU player. Maybe start with 2?

claudioxcore 07-10-09 04:06 PM

Yeah I was doing 4, and it was a little tough, so I'm gonna step down to 2 for now.

Thanks TP.

Kurn 07-10-09 07:48 PM

SNGs are a volume game. Even full ring. Turbos 8-12 tables and take your 5%-8% to the bank. Hourly rate > ROI.

Not that I'm there yet, mind you. :(