The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Book Suggestions? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14888)

Itsascience 11-12-08 06:10 AM

Book Suggestions?

After analyzing these forums (literally) since 11pm central time, I have finally decided to register and post in the community. I appreciate the welcome and look forward to learning and interacting with you all.

My question:
What are some of the books/authors you established players have read that you would say got you to where you are today as successful online players?
I haven't read any literature on the theories of the game, and well, here is a little short bio I guess.

I have been playing poker off and on since I was 16 and in high school (I am a 20 year old college student) but I am looking to start from the ground. I am smart enough, and have the time and money (about 2k starting bankroll) to invest in following in the tracks of some of the more well known players on these forums. I have played online with more of a recreation fashion, meaning I don't track profits/losses, play nightly sessions, etc. and mostly have been playing for the general enjoyment of the game. I have a very addictive/obsessive personality and once I get onto something, I don't let it go until I have it mastered. Obviously, once I master this I will play as long as it is profitable.

I intend on updating my progress as a poker player on the forums and look forward to gettin to know everyone on here.

Again, highlights of the post:
1. Best books for intermediate players?
2. Any other starting advice?

JDMcNugent7 11-12-08 07:03 AM

u sound like me a few years back

harrington on hold'em helped me a ton if your looking for some basic stuff, its tourny stuff but is very helpful in learning the game and can be easily applied to cash

Nikita 11-12-08 10:25 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with JD, the Harrington books are a must. Theory of Poker is good. Small Stakes Poker is good, but it's designed for limit, but can help with some basic concepts.

Talking Poker 11-12-08 02:02 PM

Welcome.

I'll third the recommendation for the HoH series, and add that he does have a "Harrington on Cash Games," which I have not read yet.

There are so many books out there now, that it really depends on what games you want to focus on... Cash, MTT, SNG, live, online, full ring, 6 max, HU, limit, NL, etc, etc... and that's just Hold'Em.

Itsascience 11-17-08 11:16 PM

Sweet thanks guys. If anyone even cares really I haven't been neglecting the board I just spent the weekend in reading and working on the game. Halfway through the Hoh vol II. Harrington is so readable I love it. Ive been reading then stopping to play low limit 6max SnGs to practice some of the principles without really caring if I win or lose. Trying to look at it like an investment if that makes any sense.....I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for the recommendations on the Hoh series I think its going to pay off a TON for me.

Aequitas58 11-17-08 11:35 PM

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time
By: Rizen / Apestyles / PearlJammer

gogogo