The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   stupid question (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14607)

jdiana86 09-15-08 10:46 PM

stupid question

while playing cash games with a limited bankroll, is it better suited to play your game as if you had a full bankroll or try and avoid coinflip types of confrontations? please only serious responses.

also what is the best poker software to invest into

de-coder 09-15-08 11:12 PM

Honestly - have a full bankroll or don't bother. This is a game that has some variance, if you can't handle that you'll just go broke. Play at a limit that you can afford - that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

BlibbityBlabbity 09-15-08 11:19 PM

Yeah, if you ever say to yourself "I should call (raise, whatever), but it is too much money (or my whole BR)" then you are either over your comfortable limit or you should not be playing because you are under-BR'ed

New Guy 09-15-08 11:52 PM

You Must Play In Within Your Bankroll Or Your F'd The Biggest Law Of Poker

Reel Deal 09-16-08 10:45 AM

Just wing-it dude. You know you want to. gogogogogogo

gogzy 09-16-08 11:51 AM

i aggree with the people that say just wing it ;)

nah lol if you are scared of making desisions because its gonna hurt your bankroll then stop playing cash games untill you have the correct bankroll to do so

sjay2k 09-16-08 12:18 PM

all in

jillaj 09-16-08 12:48 PM

This system is worth it's weight in gold.

gogzy 09-16-08 02:12 PM

oh snap

i got that a few months ago

thrash1294 09-16-08 03:35 PM

look up cris fergusons blog. He has a short buyin strategy its a good read on risk management.

Invigilator 09-16-08 05:24 PM

Jdiana, hopefully you can distinguish between the honest answers that are try to help and the others.

I started out the wrong way. I was short stacking 25 max with a $70 BR. The more I look at it, the more I realize that I got 1-10000, shitass lucky to not go broke.

The link to Fergusons stuff is the most valuable.

If you have been following Penguin Fan's threads lately, you have seen how frustrating running bad can be.

Everyone WILL run bad.

POINT #1. To be able to deal with variance you need a proper sized BR.

You also need to avoid short stacking. Although it slows the bleed, your goal is to grow not bleed. So short stacking also limits profits.

POINT #2. Play a game where you can afford the max buy-in. (NL)

I am glad to hear you want to invest in poker software. I use pokertracker. Whatever you use, take the time to learn how to analyze the numbers. The best use of these programs is to help you review your play so you know your weaknesses. This analysis helps player to keep from deluding themselves about their play.

POINT #3. Get some software and analyze your play regularly and in a brutally honest way.

Finally, play the game. You are likely going to playing micro levels with many a donk. If you focus on getting the cash because you want the money, you will make sub-optimal decisions and you will go broke. Reread that last sentence about 50 times jdiana. We all want the money. But it comes from making +EV over a long period of time. In the short term, money will flow in and out like water. If you focus on the short term you will be in for an emotional rollercoaster that makes optimal play all but impossible.

POINT #4. Play the GAME. Focus on the GAME. Money will come if you do this well.

I say all of this as a person who survived many of these mistakes early. When these realities kicked me in the teeth, I adjusted before my BR was gone.

jillaj 09-16-08 05:41 PM

Isn't this the guy with the big gambling problem? No strat help will make that go away.

de-coder 09-16-08 06:01 PM

What Invigilator said here is GOLD - !

mundybags1 09-16-08 06:46 PM

i would say that you should only play a game that you feel comfortable playing and only play with funds you can afford to play with. as for myself i play at fortune and they have a promotion going on right now called around the world. they are giving 5 live tournament seat around the world. you should check it out.

Reel Deal 09-17-08 09:23 AM

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!!!

Talking Poker 09-18-08 01:03 AM

Consider this your first and final warning about your less than creative SPAM attempts.

Thanks.

PShabi 09-18-08 01:30 AM

Whoops, I just +rep'd this asshole.

Talking Poker 09-18-08 02:03 AM

Problem solved.

Edit: Almost. Shit... how many of you tards are +Repping him?

Zybomb 09-18-08 02:08 AM

Now its solved

TomBrooklyn 09-30-08 08:56 PM

Always play with a full bankroll. Shortstacking is fine.