The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Poker on TV (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   how gay is gus (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1295)

johnbaker 02-14-05 09:23 PM

how gay is gus

after watching the finale of poker superstars, ive lost all respect for gus hansen..... after he called barry greenstein's al in with A10 and said 'no more big laydowns', i was like wow... gus youre just like the pieces of shit on partypoker who call with any hand just for the screw, i cannot respect u anymore. ur guys's thoughts on his play?if u can even call it play....

jdiana86 02-14-05 10:07 PM

nothin much, he was just workin it :p

New Guy 02-15-05 11:55 AM

I think its still called gambling

I call that a great move.Lucky yes but great ODDS on him money and hand.You see if you knew about pot odds and the odds of certain hands you would know all that is factored in to everyone of his moves.Yes he got lucky but he takes risks based on the odds.

jdiana86 02-15-05 01:16 PM

yes he was getting pot odds on some calls...but on others he was clearly behind and getting the worst of it and got flat out lucky...he was just riding his rush however and really has nothing to lose by playing loosely on a good run of cards while having fun...i don't neccesarily agree with his play of any of the hands he played, but you can't argue with results.

omahilo 02-15-05 01:37 PM

He plays this way for a reason... when your holding lets say JJ... and Gus raises you and you decide to go allin... Gus could have AT... or he could have AA.

The point is he plays all his hands the same... and this is why he gets action on all his big pocket pairs and big hands he hits.

Also if he has 64o and someone who has AK calls and the flop comes 64K... your going broke... but if the flop comes TK2... then you will win a very small amount.

He loses very small pots and wins very big pots.

ChipFish 02-15-05 03:20 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Someone might pick up on this. :cool:

BlibbityBlabbity 02-15-05 06:01 PM

My only question is....

When Gus and Phill Hellmuth play at the same table does Gus get the same, "how do you call a raise with XX" lecture that he gives the amatuers??

I like the play of Gus and Daniel N. very much, not because they have adopted the standard hand selection/hand play techniques that other pros use, but because they have devolped new styles that are very hard to read and made them work for them. This coupled with Gus' excellent head for math and Daniel's exceptional skill at reading people's hands make them great players and get them results equal to (or better than) other pros.

It also makes for some great "TV poker" :D but, IMO, that is merely a side effect.

Tuff Luck 02-15-05 11:10 PM

I usually like his playing, but I was disgusted when he called an all in for a large portion of his own stack with 10-8 suited during a WPT episode. He happened to pair and won against the 77 he called. But still, he could have been up a higher pocket pair than 10, he could have been up against two over cards, and even the 77 he was up against was a coin flip. Oh well, I guess its workin for him.

thrash1294 02-16-05 07:11 PM

the guy can afford to play that way.
he makes 2k a day just off pokerchamps that 730,ooo a yr

Talking Poker 02-16-05 08:32 PM

Is this true? where did you hear this number?

That's almost as much as I make off of TP every day. LOL :D

johnbaker 02-16-05 09:31 PM

he did not have odds to call with A10 vs barry's AQ, and he announced that he knew he was beat before calling... he was just calling to gamble, which doesnt take skill..... any idiot can call all their money off with borderline hands and screw a pro

shadow063 02-17-05 05:38 AM

well there is some method to gus' call, and he also makes great reads. his way of playing frustrates other players, and it's nearly impossible to put him on anyhands, cuz you know that guy plays anything. sure he makes some questionable calls sometimes, but he also builds his stack up so that he's in the position to take small hits compared the amount of chips that he has. also gus raises and raises and raises, and eventually that will put a a player on tilt, and he capitalizes off of that. call gus as lucky as you want, but you have to admit to win as many tournaments as gus has in the past few years, it cannot possibly be pure luck, he has a lot of skill, not just luck and gamble.

~shadow063

tazmision89 02-17-05 12:55 PM

Sounds like my play from Tuesday night when I called with A10 suited against 2 all-in. One of which was AQ.

I won the side pot of $13,000 and the main pot was $7500 won by the BB who was short stacked.

johnbaker 02-21-05 02:52 PM

obviously not something to be proud of....

junYUN 02-25-05 09:55 PM

LOL ATs against 2 all-in. i know i woulda been mad at that one...

sounds like a pot i was in the other day where i held AA, another guy had KK, another guy had QQ, and a fourth had 88. QQ pushed in, KK pushed in behind him, i (obviously) jumped for joy and pushed in behind them. 88 drew a straight and broke us all.