The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you use the four-color deck option?? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280)

BlibbityBlabbity 11-05-04 06:01 PM

Do you use the four-color deck option??

I thought this was an interesting question.

In the current cardplayer magazine:

......On a different topic, while in Aruba for the WPT event, I heard a conversation at my table regarding the four-color deck. As it turned out, everyone at my table used the four-color deck when they played online. I decided to look into the topic even more, and almost every person I talked to who plays online uses it. Is poker big enough now to change the standard black and red deck to black, red, green, and blue? Even though the idea was laughed at years ago, it may be time to change. After all, it is much easier for the television viewing audience to see the suits........

by Jeff Shulman

TajaUk 11-05-04 06:14 PM

I prefer to have the four colour deck. It makes it alot easier for me to see my suits quickly esp if I am playing 2-3 tables. As for having them on WPT I don't care really.

Talking Poker 11-05-04 09:06 PM

I agree that the 4 color deck makes it easuer to see the suits, but I never play with it online, just on the tiny off chance it would negatively affect my live play someday.

BlibbityBlabbity 11-05-04 09:26 PM

I use it online, where it is available, just for clarity as my new laptop's screen resolution makes all sites very small. Spades and clubs can only be distinguished by squinting most of the time (and I have good eyesight).

As far as the WPT part of the question, I think it would make the broadcast better FOR THE VIEWERS for the same reasons I use it online. The PLAYERS, however, would be put in the awkward (I think) position of making a huge adjustmwnt in their games.

hackers238 11-05-04 10:08 PM

Yeah, ive never really seen a point to it either. Until my eyes start going and I cant make out the suits, I'll stay with the traditonal style.

and maybe a grammer check here?

as well as the next poll question...

Tuff Luck 11-05-04 10:45 PM

I don't use it, but I suppose it would help for the viewers on televised events.

BlibbityBlabbity 11-05-04 11:20 PM

yeah, I know, i know...... I cut and pasted from the first two, didn't re-read. :p

Kidd7138 11-05-04 11:21 PM

Unless I had serious sight problems I can't see ever using the 4 color deck option. I really hope they don't start manipulating anything at the WSOP to appease the viewing audience, keep it the way poker's always been, don't change it because of a suddenly huge TV viewing audience. Either way is it really that hard at all to see the suits of the cards with the graphic of every players hand that all the stations have in the corner of the screen?

BlibbityBlabbity 11-05-04 11:28 PM

Depends on the size of your TV and how far across the room you are sitting fom it.

I think it would be a VERY big thing to change the actual card colors for such events (you try to tell Doyle Brunson that clubs are going to be green from now on :D ) but, there is really no reason ESPN or Travel Channel can't show the cards in different colors for the TV audience only, if that is what they want to do.

Aequitas58 11-06-04 08:46 PM

Exactly. How about a grammar check?

robert2504 11-08-04 03:49 PM

Totally confuses me. Nope, I don't like the 4 color deck option.

Kidd7138 11-08-04 04:01 PM

I've been trying it more recently and still can't get used to it. For some reason that bright blue diamond really throws me off.

GeoffM 11-08-04 04:27 PM

Don't use it, don't think it's a good idea to put it in the WPT or WSOP either. If you can't tell whether a spade is a spade or a club is a club, you should be spending money on laser surgery instead of playing poker. However....

would it ever give the commentating team some new one line zingers.

junYUN 11-08-04 06:50 PM

I don't see the problem with the decks as they are now. if you need to change the colors to tell what suit they are then you probably shouldn't be playing poker.

Penguinfan 11-09-04 04:41 PM

Tried them for the first time right now at Ultimate Bet (see my other thread about this experience) and I don't think I liek the 4 color thing at all, though it is different looking at a green and blue pair of Aces (which help up!)

brokeagain 11-09-04 04:52 PM

would like to, but winholdem doesnt support it :)

bothecorgi 11-09-04 06:01 PM

I tried the 4 color deck one time but it seemed too distracting to me.