The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   college hoops (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184)

junYUN 10-27-04 04:21 PM

college hoops

the college hoops season is right around the corner. who's your team?

go arizona wildcats! lute olson is the man :D

look for channing frye to have a huge year for the 'cats and get drafted in the top 10 picks

Tuff Luck 10-27-04 04:22 PM

I know everyone jumped on their bandwagon last year but DUKE. I like Temple too.

junYUN 10-27-04 04:23 PM

duke? BAH. i smell a fair weather fan

Tuff Luck 10-27-04 04:25 PM

hey, I said I know everyone has jumped on their wagon, but I live close, and I've always liked them. Now I just have higher hopes.. just like the eagles. They've been my favorite team forever, but I just expect more now that they are actually good. I started getting into football when I was younger like in the 90s.. theyre werent impressive, but they were my hometown team so I've always loved them. But I digress..

junYUN 10-27-04 04:27 PM

well as long as you LIVE there it's not a big deal, i attended U OF A so i have a reason to watch them, not just because lute olson has taken this team to 17 straight 20 win seasons :D

Defendant 10-27-04 09:12 PM

Well....I guess if we played better Id be interested in college hoops...so I suppose GO ARKANSAS HOGS!

Even though its kind of sad Matt Jones isnt playing basketball to get ready for the NFL :(

Defendant

2Tone 10-27-04 11:22 PM

Uw

Here is Seattle we think Nate Robinson is the most exciting college athlete in the game today. This could be the year for the Huskies!

eddo31 10-28-04 03:07 AM

i cant stand duke for some reason, probably because i like unlv back in the day, and the dukies pulled off that big upset in the championship game.

as for my allegiances, i root for uconn, but i dont mind seeing bc do well. if it comes down to it, i will root for a big east team to do well over anyone else.

Aequitas58 10-28-04 07:29 AM

ST. JOE'S HAWKS

"The Hawk Will Never Die."

GeoffM 10-28-04 08:47 AM

I've been a Duke fan since the days of Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley, Antonio Lang, Grant Hill and Cherokee Parks. They really dropped the ball last year against UCONN, but I thought the officiating was a little shady. I believe they will be ranked around #8 before the season this year, but man was it tough seeing Livingston decide to go pro.

eddo31 10-29-04 12:23 PM

i absolutely hated those choir boys back in the day. i think i also dont think that highly of the program because their players always seem to underperform in the pros. there seems to be an element of self-destruction, which suggests to me that coach k controls everythingin college, and when the players get to the pros they cant handle the responsibility. laettner had drug problems, hurley wrecked himself in a drunk driving accident, jay williams drove his bike into a tree. i do like elton brand, but other than that there arent really any dukies that i cheer for.

livingston was a big loss, and deng leaving after only a year is also a big blow to the program. they are still stacked though. randolph should really emerge this year.

Penguinfan 10-29-04 02:09 PM

I'm not that much of a homer, but I see a final 4 in Pitt's future.

GeoffM 10-29-04 02:26 PM

How could you not like Duke?

Grant Hill was probably the best player to be, but unfortunately we'll never know, damn ankles.

Maggette looks like a keeper, and Duhan could turn out to be the surprise of this draft.

eddo31 10-29-04 09:51 PM

i just dont really like their players. i will recognize that they are extremely talented, and that they are extremely well coached.

maybe it is just that i get sick and tired of listening to dick vitale rant and rave about the dukies. maybe it is just that i am sick and tired of watching duhon and the like take a :charge" when their feet are still moving. maybe i just cant stand people lionizing player like steve wojo because they hustle so much. maybe its just because i cant stand their fans, who think that they are just sooo funny and creative.

im not sure what it is overall, but i just dont like duke.

junYUN 10-31-04 04:45 PM

don't forget carlos boozer

but everyone watch out for the arizona wildcats this year..

eddo31 10-31-04 05:52 PM

i liked boozer until he basically talked cleveland into letting him out of his contract, with the idea that he would resign with them for a significant raise, and then he split. i know it was idiotic for the cavs to let him loose, but it seemed like there was a violation of basic ethics here.

and yes, arizona is a threat for the title this year. they always are.

junYUN 11-01-04 02:42 AM

channing frye will set career highs in almost every category. MARK IT.

yeah boozer is a queer for leaving.

GeoffM 11-01-04 08:41 AM

I remember Duke against Indiana was it 3 or 4 years ago, when Jay Williams missed a 2nd free throw to tie the game, Boozer grabbed the rebound and missed a lay in. My buddy and I joked for years about how even the ref fouled Boozer when he went up for that shot.

junYUN 11-01-04 07:31 PM

yeah i remember that against indiana

jay williams the choke, boozer with the hack and the miffed layup

tragic

GeoffM 11-02-04 08:11 AM

He missed the layup, but again even the ref was all over him. Should have been a foul but I guess the refs didn't want that big a say in the outcome.