The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need suggestions on a poker tournament (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31)

Penguinfan 10-17-04 11:29 AM

Need suggestions on a poker tournament

Another forum I visit had a small private tournament last night and it was alot of fun, only 15 people showed up and we want to do it again only make it as big as possible. I need some ideas on how to make it more interesting, bounties on certain players, royal flush prize, money added, things like that. Have any of you ever been in a tournamen that did something our of the ordinary thay you liked alot? We will have a decent size budget for this so let me know any ideas you have.

Thanks in advance
Penguinfan

sebelmy 10-19-04 04:42 AM

Headhunting is fun, put names in a hat and pick them out, then put prices on paper then pick them out of a hat too, mix and match basiclly. You could try a high hand bonus instead of just a royal flush bonus

rooster 10-19-04 09:37 AM

You could

use a calculator to see who learns odds faster..

TC has an awesome one that you can download fer free..

:)

-----
Admin Edit: I didn't delete your post, but I am removing the affiliate part of your link. This post is blatnat SPAM (clearly not a legitimiate suggestion) and belongs in that category, not this one.

Charlie Frank 10-19-04 12:15 PM

Headhunting is a great idea - we do it at our tournaments at my local home game and everyone loves it.

I like to put my own private bounties on those who I have been playing with for awhile - just to ensure people are taking shots at them. It's all great fun.

I don't have any new ideas for you, but I'm interested in hearing other ideas people have as well. I'd like to incoporate new ideas into my local weekly tournaments.

CF

stussy2k 10-19-04 09:31 PM

head hunting sounds like a sweet idea

Jackass_man 10-19-04 10:28 PM

Get that spamming bastard!

johnbaker 10-22-04 12:35 AM

a royal flush bonus seems pretty random, its not like anyone's likely to see one during a small tourney.... a quads bonus would be more reasonable. I've only been involved in pots with 2 royals, ever. i got a royal on party once, so that one doesnt count, and the other my friend got last weekend in a home game. funny to see a guy drawing dead on the flop because my friend flopped a flush, and he got runners for a royal anyways.

-jB

BlibbityBlabbity 10-22-04 01:33 PM

I agree, maybe for a small tourney, set aside small portion of the prize pool (or have extra fee for) a high hand of the tournament prize, like Ultimate Bet has (in ring games). Annouce the current high hand and update it as better hands emerge. Could be fun in a freindly game.

If someone gets a royal early it will probably sound a lot like a bingo parlor after the coverall gets hit though.....all the old ladies throwing down and markers and grumbling.

BINGO :eek:

GeoffM 10-22-04 01:37 PM

High hand of the night bonus would be good. Or perhaps an eliminator bonus, going to the player that eliminates the most players in the tourney.

Penguinfan 10-22-04 01:53 PM

"Eliminator bonus" I like that idea, thanks.

PShabi 10-22-04 03:14 PM

I haven't played but I heard of a tourney where there's a $50 buy-in, 25-28 guys and they pay 2 or 3 spots I think.

Anyway, they have a rule where you have to give the person who busts you out $5 . So, if you bust 5 people out, but don't finish in the money, you can get a little back. I thought it was kinda cool.

BlibbityBlabbity 10-22-04 07:29 PM

Talk about adding insult to injury......BUT a cool idea :rolleyes: