The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   TP Suggestions/Problems (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lurkers --> Posters... (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3028)

Talking Poker 08-31-05 06:19 PM

Lurkers --> Posters...

There are a decent number of people who come to this site every day, but only a fraction of them post regularly.

I'm looking for ideas that would help turn our faithful lurkers into faithful posters. Ideas for getting new members are always appreciated as well.

I have a few things in mind, but I want to see what you (the faithful posters, and hopefully some lurkers too) come up with.

Thanks guys.

-TP

kkirk1329 08-31-05 07:04 PM

these monthly competetitions seem to be working because lurkers.....and i, love free money :)

Talking Poker 08-31-05 07:26 PM

Yes, but they don't really seem to get people posting all that much. I'll have to start requiring minimum post counts for future tourneys...

PShabi 08-31-05 07:40 PM

The minimum post shit just makes the "kirkies" run around and say, "yeah, I agree," "yeah, you played it like a pimp," or "hey, do you guys think poker is rigged? I don't."

No offense Kirk.

Talking Poker 08-31-05 08:02 PM

Maybe so... but it's been awfully quiet around here recently. Don't you agree?

kkirk1329 08-31-05 08:12 PM

at the beginning i didnt have quality posts but i like to think now that ive started some good discussions

2Tone 08-31-05 08:35 PM

Quality vs. Quantity

I like the idea of rewarding quality posts, as well as encouraging people to stick around for a while.

Here’s one idea …

Starting on 9/1, members will be encouraged to make at least two (or five, or whatever) QUALITY posts a week in the month of September. You must contribute quality new posts each and every week of the month.

On 10/1, we create a new thread in which everybody post links to their own quality posts from the previous months to prove they have indeed done so. That should be a pretty easy with the “Find all posts” functionality.

Everyone who has met the minimum requirements qualifies for a generous freeroll courtesy of Talking “Future Aruba and WCOOP champion” Poker. It’s a lot to ask of the forum members, but hey, there’s a freeroll entry as a reward. Plus the joy of supporting the community.

Maybe there’s an additional incentive for newbies – a bounty on the regulars, or something like that.

eejit101 09-01-05 02:04 AM

i like the sound of that. andi think or hope my posts have been quality! and i am new, but im not lurking!

PShabi 09-01-05 12:20 PM

Yeah, I don't like that.

Unfortunately, the absence of Brian is pretty much the reason. That kid singlehandedly started like 10 threads/day!

Anyway, yeah, I'd like to get traffic up.

PShabi 09-01-05 12:21 PM

Agreed.

I was just refering to the people that lurk in the Poker Stars "private" tourney section and come over 10 minutes before a tournament trying to make 10 posts to get in.

GeoffM 09-01-05 01:48 PM

I'm working on it Pshabi. Have you seen all the slutty reloads I posted today?

omahilo 09-01-05 04:19 PM

yeah we need to get the forum going again... its been dead.

Quint 09-01-05 04:37 PM

You may have tried it before, but I think a regularly scheduled weekly private tournament (freeroll or small buy-in with something kicked in) will generate discussion and possibly bring in new posters. You could do it the same night and time or vary it to accomodate those with irregular schedules, but having it regularly is the key.

kkirk1329 09-01-05 08:21 PM

this makes alot of sense, because if you cant come one week you can try to fix your sched. to make time for it the next.

omahilo 09-01-05 08:51 PM

yeah I think we should set up a regularly scheduled tourney... Sunday night or something like that.

lightfungus 09-01-05 10:39 PM

Im up for it, and since I am a lowly college student with nothing else to do I can usually get to these. However, we have tried them and they havent been too successful in the past. This is a dilemma, because if these past couple monthly tournaments havent turned lurkers into posters I dont know what will. Ill think about it.

galypso86 09-02-05 11:58 AM

Free Money?

yes..kkirk1329 loves free money..he took me for $105..just ask the twerp

Talking Poker 09-02-05 12:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Here's what I came up with for this month:

$400 up for grabs!

As for the regularly scheduled tournament, I agree, that would be nice to get going... but we've tried in the past and had a pretty dismal turnout (we even tried to get a league going). We'll try again sometime, I'm sure.

BDMK 11-14-05 03:40 AM

not in any specific order:

-contests (best post, most quality posts, 'name that tune', show us a royal from ur game, show us X-number tourney wins, etc etc)

-freerolls (preferably on pokerstars, heheh!)

-forum league (freeroll or smallish buyin or combo of both...say 10 games or so in 10 consecutive weeks...again, preferably on pokerstars! :D )

-random $$ drawings (nothing wild, just a few bux here and there)

supercow3250 11-16-05 05:37 PM

yeah a freeroll league