The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How long is too long? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17)

2Tone 10-14-04 08:15 PM

How long is too long?

When playing online, at what point do find you start to get distracted/lose concentration etc., and losing BBs as a result? Personally, I find that after about three hours in one stretch I'm best off shutting down even if the table is still juicy.

Talking Poker 10-15-04 12:14 AM

Great question..... I'm honestly not sure. I tend to get distracted fairly easily, so I usually play 2-3 tables to keep my interest. I tend to play in spurts, probably about an hour and a half long on average. I've played 3-4 hours sessions plenty of times though, and I don't think it's affected my results... so I don't know that I can answer your question.

Probably around the 4-5 hour mark for me though. Just a guess.

Aequitas58 10-15-04 01:05 AM

Nice question.

Playing one table enables me to multitask. Sounds wierd, but I don't sit and watch the screen. Playing more than one table, on the other hand, can get "draining." Of course, in my past experience, when I'm winning money, I never feel drained.

And I do drink a lot of coffee.

Aequitas58 10-15-04 01:07 AM

I just got done playing tonight for 5 hours. I was only playing one table, so I was able to do other things, but I did net a win, and right now I'm debating whether to play ANOTHER SnG since I'm getting hot cards. I think I'll just go to bed.

:)

DMAUL 10-15-04 04:31 PM

I really go down hill at about an hour, therefore, I do short periods of play to keep myself going..

bdubbers 10-15-04 04:36 PM

3 or 4 hours for me. i always seem to hit my high at a table around 2 and a half hours. if i'm playing up to 4 hours i start losing badly. dunno if thats just me losing interest and playing badly or my judgement going but i never seem to take big hits in the first few hours.

johnbaker 10-19-04 12:15 AM

yeah I max out at 3 online... then i get bored and start watching a movie while I play.... bad for my bankroll lol

Jackass_man 10-19-04 03:41 PM

I think 6- 8 hrs is the max a person should play anything more and you'll be bound to make mistakes.

robert2504 10-20-04 09:48 PM

After 100 hands

I log off after 100 hands because that as many hands as Poker Stars can send you via email. So I take a break

nutbag 12-16-04 08:06 AM

Four hours is about the lmit for me, but it's longer when playing live. By the way, does losing or winning make you want to play longer?

jillaj 12-16-04 10:51 AM

It really depends on if I'm winning or not. I can go loger if I am winning, byt usually about 2 hours is my limit before i have to get up and walk around.

Kidd7138 12-16-04 12:01 PM

2-3 hours is usually the most I can go. My style is a lot like Lou's in that I usually only play one table at a time and can multitask. When I play poker for 3 hours I usually haven't just been sitting staring at the screen the whole time. I can usually stay focused longer in multi table tourneys obviously because its often necessary to concentrate longer but I also being the session expecting to play for a long period of time and am more prepared for it.

TajaUk 12-16-04 12:04 PM

Also if I am not in the mood to play i dont bother at all. I need to be fully into the games or I tend to lose very quickly. I would say 3-4hrs is enough for me. When i won a few large freerolls i was tried at the end of a 7hr session.

Windbreaker 12-16-04 12:32 PM

It usually depends what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just grinding away at a ring table then you just have to excersie the patience and see how the cards have been going. If you're on a tourney, you must stayed focus for the whole time. But if you're just trying to clear a bonus, then you just go nuts and multi table that. =P

drewjax 12-16-04 01:27 PM

I find that i rarely play for more than 3 hrs at a time, at least in ring games. In huge tournies, if you are still in of course you may have to suck it up for longer, but there are at least 5 min. breaks every hour. Seems like 2-3 is about where people tend to need to take a breather.

Gutzz 12-16-04 07:32 PM

I like to play 2-3 hours while watching TV :)

Sometimes I play 20 min sessions here and there but I prefer longer ones.

PS transfers up to 200 hands, not 100.

Cheers,

Gutzz