The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One type of poker? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557)

Aequitas58 11-28-04 05:27 PM

One type of poker?

How many of you strictly play one type of game online - and won't play anything else? $3/6 LHE for example?

I can't seem to find my specialty. I've recently been playing $20+2 SnGs, and when I get tired of them I'll either play $2/4 LHE, or $.25/$.50 NLHE.

How did you get to where you're at today? With respect to bankrolls, did you build yours up, or win (some) big tournaments?

Penguinfan 11-28-04 05:33 PM

This is actually something I have been thinking about lately, seems like I will play 2/4 and not get cards or take a bad beat or just plain out play bad and decide that I will get it back in a SNG so I head off to the 20+2 table and play horribly there as well then head to a 50 buy-in NL table and lose a few bucks there and before I know it I am down a hundred bucks and looking for a quick way to get it back, which is even worse. I think we would all be better off if we found a limit our skill and bankroll were comfortable with and stuck to it no matter what. Even on my worst unluckiest day I don't think I would lose 100 at 2/4, I hope.

johnbaker 11-28-04 05:50 PM

i'm most comfortable at whatever the highest game my bankroll will allow. i float between PL and NL holdem sng's, O8B games (limit and pot limit), and occasionally play .25/.5 nl, but people are so terrible and so lucky in there ive promised myself id never play in any partypoker ring games again below 1/2.

basically i keep going up and up until someone rivers a chunk out of my bankroll, then i have to rebuild by playing 5/1 sng's... the only games on party i steer clear of are 5/10 and higher limit holdem (because my bankroll isnt big enough) and 7 card stud (because of the cheaters)

my most comfortable game would have to be $10 - $30 sng's on party. ive never played anything higher than $30, but once my bankroll is over 300, i'll try a $50 one.

-jB

Defendant 11-28-04 07:01 PM

you got balls to play 50+5 SNGs on a 300$ bankroll.

But yeah I tend to float a good bit myself. 2-4 to 5-10 limit HE (depending on game selection), 3-6 O8B, 0.25-0.5 to 1-2 PLO, SnGs up to 30, and big multis buyin up to 50+5 tend to be my games.

Defendant

nutbag 11-28-04 07:37 PM

I usually just play 1/2 six handed, which I know I can easily beat, but trying to advance my game for that specific limit has hurt me when I move to other games/numbers of people. Do you guys think an all around knowledge of other games helps a player in each game, or that omaha/seven/HE are two specialized?

Aequitas58 11-28-04 07:40 PM

Just to add to your point, what are your qualifications for bankroll requirements with each SnG limit?

10x buyin?
20x buyin?

Aequitas58 11-28-04 07:44 PM

Not too specialized.

I don't think they are too specialized. I think if you know one game, it can only help you when you're playing another. Take, for example, Phil Ivey. An exceptional player - he excels in both Stud and HE.

Basic poker theory is inherent to all poker games.

ChipFish 11-28-04 09:20 PM

I try to play everything....

Well, I won't play Pineapple or any Razz games... (Yet)

My specialty game is 7-stud H/L (Especially tourneys)
People just don't seem to count the opened cards at low limits....
I haven't ventured into higher limits here but one day. :)

Pot limit Holdem or omaha are another 2 of my favourites.
Yeah, so I guess I do play just about anything. :)

junYUN 11-28-04 09:34 PM

i only play NLHE, and usually i play microlimits or 5+.50 SnGs or 10+1 SnGs.

as you can see i dont have a huge bankroll :(

Defendant 11-28-04 09:41 PM

To feel comfortable playing SnGs, I would usually prefer to have at LEAST 10 buyins. Not saying everyone should follow that, its just my minimum.

Defendant

SirFWALGMan 11-28-04 11:22 PM

Grinder

I am primarily a grinder. I started at .50/1 with $200 and worked my bankroll up to where it is today. I do play NL and Limit tourneys for fun and to keep the WSOP dreams alive. Mostly the 20/2 tourneys and the 5K guarenteed. I will play 25/NL with friends for fun. I also have played a little 7-Card stud and O8 to broaden my horizens and become a more rounded player.

SirFWALGMan 11-28-04 11:23 PM

Cheaters?

Just curious how people cheat in 7-Stud?

SirFWALGMan 11-28-04 11:26 PM

Never Considered

I never really considered this. I keep a 300x Buyin limit for Ring games, but I figure if I am going to play an SNG it is a one shot deal, and then it is done. I have no requirements. I have the bankroll to play a 100/9 tourney but I know I can beat the 20/2 and will probably try the 30/3 more often. Multi Table tourneys seem like fun too, but I can never seem to find a group to get together.

johnbaker 11-29-04 12:18 AM

since more cards are exposed, bots / calculators give a cheater a HUGE edge over players who just play by memory.

if you dont consider people who use automatic odds calculators/bot's cheaters, you should probably steer clear from all stud games online

-jB

Aequitas58 11-29-04 01:03 AM

That's pretty cool. Are you grinding out your rent money, or are you just trying to build a bankroll?

johnbaker 11-29-04 01:26 AM

i tip my hat to anyone crazy enough to grind out rent money in 25NL cash games on partypoker

Aequitas58 11-29-04 01:59 AM

No.

He doesn't primarily play the $25NL cash games. Re-read his original post. From what I read on these forums, he does a pretty good job at $2/4 LHE. I only asked because he said he grinds it out. I just wanted to know what he's grinding for: a bigger bank or rent money.

SirFWALGMan 11-29-04 11:27 AM

Building

I am just building a bankroll at this point in time. I am married, two kiddies, and a good paying job. I would need to make something along the lines of 150K a year playing poker to even consider going fulltime. If I am making 150K a year playing part-time, nights, and weekends there would be less reason to go fulltime also. Only thing that would make it worth it would be setting my own schedule, and the chance I could make more by playing 4-5 more hours a day.

BTW - I grind it out at 3/6 Limit Holdem games. Was doing 5/10 thing but it just did not work out. Need to figure where to adjust my game.

drewjax 11-29-04 01:46 PM

"Keep grinding out that rent money Joe, its noble work you do" LOL