The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Comparing levels (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1051)

Gutzz 01-11-05 03:50 PM

Comparing levels

Hey guys,

I just want to know how you guys compare the limit levesl from NL to limit.

I mean it's obvious .5/1 limit doesn't = .5/1 NL right, as far as money and such is concerned.

So what does .5/1 limit = for NL? Or more importantly (imho) 1/2 limit. Is 1/2 limit = .25/.5 NL or...

Cheers,

Gutzz

Talking Poker 01-12-05 03:26 AM

Good question. I certainly don't have the answer. I think the best way to find the answer is to try a few different limits and see where you feel comfortable. When making the move to NL, it's probably a good idea to start even lower than where you think you should be... 2 reasons:

1. You don't want tobe scared money.
2. It's a much different game, and you have a lot to learn.

Gary Coleman 01-12-05 04:27 AM

ppl who play .5\1 and 1\2 limit would get worked in that level of NL

if u play those levels limit i suggest starting at 25\ 50 cent level and expect to lose at first . personally i find 25\ 50 and 50 cent 1 buck to tight preflop to make any good cash with my LAG style

Gutzz 01-12-05 04:51 AM

Hmmm I guess the answer is: "They're 2 different games, no point compairing levels."

[edit: Lol! Guys, I didn't post this to know where I should start playing NL. I've played more NL than limit, and know that the 1/2 NL game would chew up a 1/2 limit player so fast their head would spin... I just wanted to see where the skill of the players landed. --- Like is the average winning 1/2 limit player as skilled at limit as a .25/.5 NL winning player is at NL? Or would you put 1/2 limit player by .5/1 NL, or lower?

Yeah, I guess that's what I was trying to say.

Thanks,

Gutzz

PShabi 01-12-05 08:19 AM

So, if I play .5/1 limit I would get killed at a $50 buy-in NL table?

Where's the reasoning in that?

Talking Poker 01-12-05 03:52 PM

I haven't played enough different levels to say, but in my experience, the limit players are worse than the NL players.

badblood44 01-12-05 04:44 PM

From my perspective, I find that no-limit is generally a harder game than limit. And by that, I mean there are more options for you to consider than in limit.

With that said, if you really wanted to try NL, the lowest buy-in at Party is the $25NL tables. I would equate the general skill level here to roughly the 3/6 limit level at Party.

I've played both, and that's my quick impression - for what it's worth.

ChipFish 01-12-05 04:52 PM

Can't remember who said this but here it is anyways.

No-limit poker is for Limit Poker players who can't play worth a damn after the flop.

Or something to that effect. :eek: