The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No more Datamining on Tilt??? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14638)

Robbie Robb 09-21-08 08:25 PM

No more Datamining on Tilt???

i came across this thread via the pokertracker forums:

Looks like Tilt's updated its policy regarding datamining. There are couple tilt emails in that thread that indicate that using information from hands you didn't participate in is a no-no now.

MAYHEM45 09-21-08 10:01 PM

I'll echo a poster on 2p2 in saying they can suck my nuts.

melioris 09-21-08 10:50 PM

they outsourced some legal work and got it fucked up IMO. They wanted to outlaw folks that create large datamined databases (usually using multilple play money accounts) and either sell them or swap them. But poor writing put them in this corner and support is towing the party line until someone tells them otherwise.

If you are a normal player on FT, then you usually have some number of tables open in addition to the ones you are playing on for datamining purposes during that session you are playing. Until FT changes its program and doesn't write observed hands HHs to your hard-drive it is basically unenforceable. The rule, as written, isn't against datamining but against using a database that has datamined hands in it. The most obvious explanation is that the suit who explained this to the lawyer did not effectively communicate.

Robbie Robb 09-22-08 01:07 AM

The problem is that it's not unheard of for Tilt to just mass-ban players "pending investigation" (see thread on 2+2 about the Super Turbos). Plus, one of the emails from FT support made it clear that that any hand you're not involved in is a no-no. Sure, I don't *think* they're going to go after the people who maybe have a few tables open for 20 minutes to pick a couple to play at, but, based on their past actions with the ban-stick who knows.

I do agree with you Mel that I think they're intention with this change is to go after the people that are datamining non-stop and selling huge databases or swapping databases with other players.

As for it being unenforceable, I do disagree there - they will be able to tell which tables you have open. If they deem you have too many tables open - bam - watch out for that ban-stick. They've shown time and time again that they aren't afraid to ban people and then leave them completely in the dark for weeks while they "investigate".

Personally, I don't datamine. When I'm playing cash games it's almost exclusively $25NL and the number of players that come and go, factored in with my play infrequency, doesn't make it worth it for me I don't think. I guess it could tell me fish to look for, but for the little I play cash games I can usually do pretty good just with the numbers and data that I have from my own play.

de-coder 09-22-08 08:03 AM

I think if they were serious about reducing datamining they'd just prevent you from opening 18 tables when you're not logged in. With that in place it wouldn't take a very large bank of computers to catch every hold'em hand played at FT.

hackers238 09-22-08 10:37 AM

lol, if they banned me I would say fuck them and move to stars.

MAYHEM45 09-22-08 11:34 AM

For one, their software shouldn't saved observed hands to your fucking hard drive. lol.

Robbie Robb 09-22-08 11:40 AM

qft