The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dealing with Annoying Raises OOP (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15360)

Zybomb 04-18-09 05:02 PM

Dealing with Annoying Raises OOP

A situation came up a few times in the last few sessions which kind of annoyed me and got me to thinking what the optimal play was in situations like these. I'll give the most recent example from last night to explain this type of situation

5/5 NL

EP raise to $30 one callers and I call in the hijack with T:d:9:d: cutoff calls BB calls 5 way to flop.

Flop: J:d:7:d:2:d:. Checks around to me and I bet $100 into a $150, The CO pops it to an annoying $225 and everyone folds to me

My problem:

If I reraise here, I pretty much turn my hand up as a made flush (or i guess a play with the A:d: or maybe a set?) but I think I fold out a shitload of hands that I beat, and I stack off to the Q K or A high flush (we'll say A high less likely bc of that fact that he raised squeezing out potential other players)....so i don't really like reraising

If I call, I check the turn and then he can check behind big diamonds or two pair/sets a ton and get two cards for his baby raise, which sucks bc the turn and river both won't be friendly a bunch of the time.

Bc of this I generally prefer the c/r bet bet line but in these spots where im almost last to act and ive lead and then been raised i don't really know what the play is without only getting action from hands that beat me (i guess increase my reraising range, but i dunno if these idiots will notice)

Opinions?

thrash1294 04-18-09 08:48 PM

stack sizes?

Anyway you called up the raise so call?

Zybomb 04-19-09 04:51 AM

Not necessarily the specific HH mentioned, that was just an example. Assume standard 200 BBs deep though

As for the last line i have no idea what you said

Wes 04-19-09 04:57 AM

I call here the vast majority of the time. I don't really think people's bluffing range is really all that much in these multiway pots.

If you had a read that the guy has a bet sizing tell where he raises small for info with marginal hands that he'll fold to aggression, then yeah I just jack it up then.

Zybomb 04-19-09 05:06 AM

Assume we call then the turn blanks. I assume you check? If he checks behind and the river blanks, it's an easy value town, if he bets I assume an easy c/c (and i guess c/c the river too? or b/f or something).... but if the turn blanks and it goes check check and the river diamond comes we c/f? I dunno... so far i've been calling the flop raise but in these spots but i find a lot of the time opponent is checking behind the turn a ton and getting 2 cards for cheap...and the board doesn't always pan out safe and i faced with a check/wtf decision on the river

Wes 04-19-09 05:15 AM

i don't really play in games where people would check behind on the turn. sometimes i'll see some fish online that will raise small with marginal hands on the flop here, so yeah I would jack it up against them. Perhaps those guys are the ones you are playing live.

Talking Poker 04-19-09 12:28 PM

In the games I play in, we are usually ahead after his flop raise, so I usually repop it right there. Sets and some two pair hands will stack off, and lone big :d:s will sometimes too. It's a small percentage of the time that we're drawing dead (well, one out in the example given) and more often than not is the guy in position trying to take control of the hand and buy a free card, just like Zy described.

It should be noted though that I am usually playing 100 BBs, and not 200, and likely lower limits than Zy and Wes are talking about, with fishier players in general.