The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beats and Brags (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   5th in live MTT (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12624)

BlibbityBlabbity 11-24-07 08:07 PM

5th in live MTT

I played in a live MTT today and placed 5th/176 for $700+.

The field was a mix of tight older guys (regulars), a few good TAG players, LAG donks (not good LAG), and other random ok and bad players. I played super tight for a while and didn't show down any bluffs at all (actually I pushed over a limper with KQ and folded out a small PP which would have hit a set to take me out, so you could call that a bluff in the situation).

Couple of interesting hands. I was blinded down pretty low at one point with about 100 left and was in M with about 4.5BBs. I was dealt 44 and a big stack (tricky player) limped and then a pretty tight smaller (more than me) min raised. I thought for a minute and then mucked the 4s figuring that one/both of them could easily have me crushed with a bigger pair and there were still 4-5 to act behind. As I was mucking them I remembered that I had just counted my chips and I had exactly 4400 after the antes. Dealt 44 with 4400 left in chips OF COURSE the flop would be 448!!! FUCK ME!

I think I actually had to go through the blinds with absolute junk and raises in every hand and then I got Q5s with 5+ limpers in front. I only had 2BBs but, I figured I was not forcing anyone out anyway so I just called. I was not planning on folding with ANY part of the flop in any case. I flopped an draw inside straight draw and a BDFD and tossed in my last BB or so even with a raise and AI in front. The flop was HUGE at that point, so I would estimate that I was very close to having odds to call even with such a crappy draw. Rivered the J to take down a HUGE main pot and be right back in it with an average+ stack.

Nothing major, just played solid and chipped up after that. Called a few SS all ins with them crushed to boost the stack at the right times, etc, etc.

Final table was pretty crazy starting with talk of a 10 way chop for 2nd-3rd place money for everyone. A few were not into that so we played on.

I raised in EP/MP with AQ and it folded around to the chip leader who pushed over the top. I made a very tight laydown given the likelihood he might have been bullying. Couple of hands later he did the same thing to someone else, so I think he might have been weaker (but he could have also had a PP for a race too, so whatever).

Blinded down a bit and then raised with AK and the other chip leader did the same thing and I called. He had AQ and I doubled through. Note this for later.

Nothing for a bit and it is 6 handed and I have KQ and make the same raise and the same chip leader pushes in. Now, I know this guy is paying attention and and with my similar raise/call with AK I didn't see why he would do this with less than KQ since he knows he will be crushed if I call. Again, maybe a race, but I decided to give him credit for something that could have me dominated and folded. I did want to call though.

5 handed and 3rd in chips limps. I look down at AK and push for a standard raise plus a little. It folds back around and he thinks and gives the standard "let's gamble" and calls with 9Ts. He hits a 9 on the flop, I turn a K and he gets his straight on the river.

As I walk away with a good payday, happy to get it all in with the best hand, they start talking chip count deal.

I like live play, but I do find that I miss the chipcounts and ability to see everything going on at a glance. I got some good reads on players that paid off in a few spots that I would not have had online. But, that combined with the larger fee/buyin ratio I think I will stick primarily to online for now.

bunny 11-24-07 08:11 PM

WTG! :cheers:

herschelw 11-24-07 09:32 PM

Congrats. As a side note with 44 you should have been allin with M 5 or lower imo.

Talking Poker 11-27-07 12:56 AM

Nice.

One of these days I'm going to swing by the dog track and see how the poker room is. Now that they have NL cash games ($100 max, I think), it might at least be a little bit of fun. They have decent MTTs too - assuming you don't mind paying like 35% juice.