The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Offering: Football pool deal (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11948)

Invigilator 09-07-07 05:48 PM

Offering: Football pool deal

As I once said in another thread, I suck a sports pools. They come up through work, so I play them.

The big one is football. We pick the winners for the week, put in 2 bucks and win somehting like %90 of the money for first, with the remainder being put aside for an overall (season) winner.

Here is the deal. If you guys really know your football, I'll let the forum make my picks by consensus, and every week that I win, I will put aside %50 (which could be 20-35 bucks) for money added to a TP tournament. (assuming TP is will to take my money :rolleyes:)

I foot the bill, the forum makes the picks.

:thumbsup:

Talking Poker 09-08-07 12:59 PM

I wonder why no one has responded to this yet.... maybe because you posted it in the backer section. I'll move it to Sports for you.

Sounds like a good plan to me - football pools are fun!

juiCe[3x] 09-08-07 02:18 PM

If its just picking teams to win, I'll try to get up my list for week 2 sometime Sunday - Tuesday. Two years ago I went 16-0 two weeks in a row but that doesn't mean I'm good at picking games but I'm ok.

Invigilator 09-08-07 03:46 PM

I'll post this coming week's options in a day or so. This week/weekend are already in. I picked the city I would rather visit excep that i picked Detroit. As I don't really follow football closely, all I know is that picked the Indy game right.

BlibbityBlabbity 09-08-07 04:42 PM

You would rather go to Indianapolis than New Orleans? You realize it isn't still underwater, right?

I'll post my picks for this as well.

juiCe[3x] 09-08-07 09:59 PM

Yeah, thats not forget New Orleans/Lousiana only has the highest crime rate in the country right now.

New Guy 09-08-07 10:02 PM

Is the pool with a point spread , or just straight up picks?

Invigilator 09-09-07 12:11 AM

Actually, I picked that one due to some vague memory of them having a very good season. I just couldn't remember if was last year or the one before that. :D

Invigilator 09-09-07 12:12 AM

It is straight win/lose

Invigilator 09-09-07 12:18 AM

Week 2

Week 2

Indicate your pics in bold

BUF @ PIT
HOU @ CAR
NO @ TB
ATL @ JAC
CIN @ CLE
SF @ STL
GB @ NYG
IND @ TEN
SEA @ ARI
DAL @ MIA
MIN @ DET
KC @ CHI
NYJ @ BAL
OAK @ DEN
SD @ NE
WAS @ PHI

juiCe[3x] 09-09-07 01:56 AM

These are my rough picks for next week some might change with what happens later today. Can't wait for football!!!

omahilo 09-09-07 06:20 AM

my pics in bold

Fildy 09-09-07 12:08 PM

I kinda just guessed on a couple but most of these I am pretty sure about.

Talking Poker 09-09-07 11:39 PM

So make it easy on yourself: Look up the point spreads (the internet is your friend) for wach game, and pick all the favorites. then pick a few games (probably the ones with the closest lines) and pick a few underdogs. Tada.

I'd be hapy to post my picks for you every week though. you shoud keep track of how the people picking here do individually.

Talking Poker 09-09-07 11:42 PM

(Without following my own advice from the previous post)...

BUF @ PIT
HOU @ CAR
NO @ TB
ATL @ JAC
CIN @ CLE
SF @ STL
GB @ NYG
IND @ TEN
SEA @ ARI
DAL @ MIA
MIN @ DET
KC @ CHI
NYJ @ BAL
OAK @ DEN
SD @ NE <-- toughest pick of the week
WAS @ PHI

I should go at least 12-4.

juiCe[3x] 09-09-07 11:49 PM

Nobody believes in the Packers :( . I think the Packers coulda beat the Giants last year and the Packers got better from last year and the Giants got worse :confused: Just my opinon....

Invigilator 09-10-07 06:05 PM

very good idea. I'll do that.

Just taking the picks off of gambling sites has not worked well for me in the past. I am betting that "collectively" the office pool junkies know something that Jimmy the Greek does not.

Invigilator 09-10-07 06:08 PM

at the very least, for those picks that are not unanimous, I'll do some research (who is sick, who is injured, etc.)

Talking Poker 09-10-07 06:12 PM

I disagree. I think if you took the Vegas lines for every single game for an entire season, they would be VERY good at predicting wins. If Team A is a 10 point favorite over Team B, there is a good reason for that. And I'd be very surprised if anyone here picked Team B anyway...

juiCe[3x] 09-10-07 06:41 PM

Another thing to look at is Eli Manning WON'T be playing vs the Packers this week.

Invigilator 09-10-07 07:30 PM

For most picks, absolutely. But for the close to call games, sports bettors don't always agree on the relative weight of variables that are likely to swing those nail bitters.

Invigilator 09-11-07 04:59 PM

I'll be putting in my picks on Thursday morning. If you still want to voice an opinion, please do so.

I'll do further research on the following games (including who picked who) since the were not unanimous. Number of picks indicated in read

SF 1 @ STL 3
GB 1 @ NYG 3
DAL 3 @ MIA 1
SD 1 @ NE 3

Invigilator 09-14-07 08:01 PM

The picks went in. I went with the majority pick where it was not unanimous.

Thanks De-Coder;)

omahilo 09-18-07 11:40 PM

my pics went 10-6... I think I would of went 11-5 if I had posted I would of switched NYG and GB after finding out that Eli Manning was hurt but oh well.

Talking Poker 09-18-07 11:52 PM

Ahem. :rolleyes: