The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best sites for tournaments?? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393)

drewjax 11-15-04 11:01 PM

Best sites for tournaments??

What are the best sites strictly for tournies? I just consolidated some $ from Pacific and a Prima skin, and I plan to deposit most back into Pacific, to play in the limit ring games. Seems like that is the best place for that, and is the ONLY thing that site is good for. I want to deposit some into another site strictly for tournies. I play pretty tight, so I am looking for one that has a good starting chip structure, ie the most BB as starting chips possible. I would also like to be able to win seats into big B&M tournies. My first thought is Stars, & I know alot of you will suggest Party (as it is the biggest). Wouldnt mind some that offer limit HE tournies as well. I just read a thread where UB has good guaranteed $ tourneys.
Whataya think??

jdiana86 11-15-04 11:04 PM

I play Party and their sit and go's range from 5 to 200, they also have 2 and 3 table sit and gos. their multi's go from 5 to large million dollar guaranteed tournies with a buy-in of around 200. I have never played on stars, but I think that tourneries are there claim to fame.

omahilo 11-15-04 11:05 PM

Stars is the best... low buyins, high buyins, rebuys, sats... everything. also game selection for tourneys on stars is the best. Party is nice if you have a big bankroll because most of their tourneys are 30 or more buyin so if your looking big and for NL HE and PL O8 then Party is your place. If your looking for everything, stars it is.

The choice is yours... lol

drewjax 11-15-04 11:10 PM

omahilo, thanks, i thought that would be the general concensus (sp?) anyone have a good bonus code etc. and is it hard to clear bonuses on stars, or anywhere else for that matter, just playing tournaments?

Aequitas58 11-16-04 12:18 AM

MTT or SNG?

Multitable tournies or SnGs? For MTT, definitely Stars. For SnGs, definitely Party.

omahilo 11-16-04 12:22 AM

Bonuses cleared on stars are cleared by earning FPPs... if you get a $100 bonus on stars, you have to earn 100 FPP I do believe. So if you play mid level ring games on stars (1-2 and up) you should clear the bonus rather easily.

Defendant 11-16-04 12:53 AM

Dont overlook Pokerroom for tourneys, they have a nightly 20+2 20k guaranteed, and all their tournaments have deeper chipstacks, which favors the better player.

And I agree, Pacific is an awesome place for mid-limit ringgames.

Defendant

junYUN 11-16-04 02:32 AM

i only play tournys on stars, havent gotten into party really, don't know why. guess it's because stars was where i started and haven't really tried anything else.

GeoffM 11-16-04 08:38 AM

O8B, you're probably looking at Party. For ring games, I'd say UB, but for SnGs definately not UB. They do have a multi on Mondays I believe which usually draw around 80 people or so. Next time I decide I am sick on Monday maybe we could get into a multi together and post results on this board. O8B is my game ;).

SirFWALGMan 11-16-04 10:18 AM

Not Empire!

I think Empire stinks as far as tourneys go. No Bad Beat tables either. I would go with Party or PokerStars I guess.

Aequitas58 11-16-04 11:52 AM

No.

For Pokerstars, if you were to deposit $500, entitling you to a $100 bonus, then you would have to hit 500 FPPs. The equation is 5 x (Bonus Amnt) = Required FPP Points.

To accumulate an FPP point, you have to be in a hand where the pot is over $20. Of course, normal rules apply: (you could have folded the hand pre-flop).

HTH.

omahilo 11-16-04 12:14 PM

I see... that makes it even harder to clear lol.

Aequitas58 11-16-04 12:21 PM

Uhh... well it does I suppose, just because it takes a little longer, but depending on what limits you play, every hand in the orbit could be a potential FPP hand.

I played a session of $3/6 LHE, where I got an easy ~75 points... then I was playing 2-3 tables of $.25/$.50 NLHE. After a few days, bonus was cleared. Now I'm waiting on another Party bonus.

drewjax 11-16-04 02:05 PM

What about getting FPP on stars by playing in tournies only? Also, are there lots of players on pokerroom?
Aequitas, I have played mostly MTT, with some success. I havent really tried SnGs, but would like to try. I think MTT sit my play better, because I do play pretty tight. I think SnGs require a little more aggession? What do you all think? anyone else like pokerroom?

omahilo 11-16-04 02:19 PM

I agree its easy if you play 3/6... just that PS is a tougher site to play ring games on... its not party lmao.