The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time to get some new members here! (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11291)

Talking Poker 06-21-07 06:14 PM

Time to get some new members here!

We've had lots and lots of great members and we still do... but over time, things change for people and individuals disappear for one reason or another. Lately, activity on this forum has been pretty low, and I think it's time to get some new blood in here. What do you guys think?

I have a few ideas for things we could do to attract some new members, but I want to hear your ideas first.

Discuss.

MAYHEM45 06-21-07 06:16 PM

Freeeeeeeerolllllllllllllllllllllll

Reel Deal 06-21-07 06:27 PM

Yikes. :eek:

How about a low buy-in money-added tourney? Might keep at least a percentage of the loonies away.

Talking Poker 06-21-07 06:29 PM

LOL. I was waiting for that. Ass.

For those who weren't here in November of 2005, is what Mayhem is alluding to. That was hands down the single worst idea I ever had to get new people here, and it damn near wrecked the place.

LOL at . Good times, good times.

The funny thing is most of those retards bans are expired now (this was over a year and a half ago).... oddly enoughm they didn't come back. Go figure.

lightfungus 06-21-07 06:35 PM

League Time!!!

Talking Poker 06-21-07 06:36 PM

Glancing through that old freeroll thread, I see that is what brought good ol' rookette here. Maybe it really WAS a great idea! :rolleyes:

thrash1294 06-21-07 06:47 PM

If you set up a few tournies with low buy-ins I think that would work.

pleaseno freeroll:talktothehand

de-coder 06-21-07 06:51 PM

I joined because mathbabe told me about the poker league - which was a lot of fun. Generally I think freerolls are bad and not worth the amount you pay for them - the play is just terrible.

With the full RB that we get for full tilt through here we should be able to attract people that way - of course they would have to not already be a full tilt player.

Robbr25 06-21-07 07:28 PM

How bout somebody wins the Main Event (or at least a bracelet) ?
That will get a lot of people here.

omahilo 06-21-07 07:30 PM

league or a buyin money added tournament should work.

The saddest thing about freerolls like that is that people are willing to do ANYTHING to play in a freeroll where you might... MIGHT win 10 or 20 dollars, its pretty sad when you think about it.

Zybomb 06-21-07 08:12 PM

Finish editing my e-book from 1.5 years ago (still waiting) , promote it, sell lots of copies and plug the forum in it :eek:

funny thing is that the book would have to be seriously edited on my part also probably from my advancement in play since the books original writing

juiCe[3x] 06-21-07 08:16 PM

League would be cool. You could do low - limit private tourneys and keep a standing then after a set amount of time the top 9 - 18 or w/e get entered into a $100 freeroll. So people would have to pay to play the events and they get points then the top finishers get in a freeroll.

Talking Poker 06-21-07 09:45 PM

:o

And not only that, but it would need to be changed a lot due to the change in general online play since the original writing too.... Well, I guess the lower limits and basic concepts haven't changed that much, but I still think online poker as a whole has changed pretty significantly.

Talking Poker 06-21-07 09:51 PM

We've done this, and it's cool... the problem is, most people don't notice the freeroll part until well after the events are under way, so it doesn't really draw that many new members.

I'm thinking we should do a series of added money events - not a league, per se, but just our own TPCOOP or something. Better yet, maybe we could figure out how to make a TPOOP!

Hrm.... Talking Poker of Online Poker? OK, it needs some work.

Maybe:
Talking Poker Added Money Series (TPAMS)
or
Talking Poker Online Poker Series (TPOPS)

Meh... the neame doesn't really matter, but I've been leaning towards doing something like this anyway. Still, let's have more suggestions! And in the mean time, refer some friends, will ya?

Invigilator 06-21-07 10:02 PM

Either sounds good to me. Would we be looking at NLH tournaments, or a variety of games?

juiCe[3x] 06-21-07 10:15 PM

Lol, I tried to refer Bigd but that didn't work out all that good.

bunny 06-21-07 10:31 PM

Flirting... FTW? ;)

jillaj 06-21-07 11:09 PM

nude women

bunny 06-21-07 11:11 PM

FYP hehe

Talking Poker 06-21-07 11:14 PM

I don't this this forum can handle any more male nudity than we already have from your avatar, tyvm.

bunny 06-21-07 11:17 PM

You weren't complaining when you had your buns showing. :rolleyes:

And why'd you change your avatar? I think the one of you was nice.

Talking Poker 06-21-07 11:19 PM

I was tired of being treated like a piece of meat. Just because I have nice buns doesn't mean I have no brain!!!

bunny 06-21-07 11:20 PM

Now you know how women feel! :cheers:

bunny 06-21-07 11:29 PM

I actually will get to see more, if I can guess what his tattoo is. hehe

Will probably need some help...new thread coming up. :thumbsup:

2Tone 06-22-07 12:06 AM

New blood would do us so some good

With Lou and a few of the other old guard MIA, I think it would be helpful to get some new members. Would it be worth cherrypicking from 2+2 or the blogosphere, sending personal invitations to quality posters/writers inviting them to contribute?