The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LHE, KQos, UTG. What do you do? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153)

PShabi 01-28-05 09:16 AM

LHE, KQos, UTG. What do you do?

You've got KQ off suit, first to act.

Lee Jones says fold it.

If I'm playing at a really tight table, which I do find occasionally at Party surprisingly, I'll bring it in for a raise, especially if I've been dormant for awhile.
That's a really tight table.

However, at the tables I'm playing today, I just folded it twice in a row UTG because I have a bunch of loose players behind me with a lot of pre-flop raises with marginal hands.

What do you guys do and do you have a steadfast rule?

GeoffM 01-28-05 11:02 AM

I raise as well. Regardless of tight table or not, that is a fairly strong hand.

Talking Poker 01-28-05 11:57 AM

I don't like tossing it (not sure why - I guess because it looks pretty), but UTG, I do. I find you're just asking for trouble playing KQo UTG...

Now, put me in a 6 seated game UTG with that hand, and I'm raising.

bdawg31 01-28-05 03:47 PM

I dont think KQo (or suited) is a strong hand UTG in a 10-seated game. You come in for a raise in that position, in theory, especially at a tight table (i believe you said the table was tight), you are only going to get called by stronger hands. I am not so sure you should be blind-stealing from UTG - even at a tight table. Maybe when you are in later position and no one is in the pot, or maybe a weak-limper.....

I must admit - i am like TP - i like to play it in late position if i can get a cheap flop - especially with a lot of limpers. I usually wont call a raise with it unless there are a lot of people in and i am in late position - then i MIGHT treat it as a drawing hand. Have to be careful - catching your K or Q can be costly with that many people in a raised pot. I definitely dump it if there were three bets preflop - i would assume that is obvious. But, we have all seen people call three and capped bets preflop with much worse - like K10 or A9o.

If there is a raiser and no callers, i usually dump it - of course, the 'depends' comes up - meaning if the raiser is loose-aggressive, i might re-raise to isolate. But i digress.....

If i have it near the button and a lot of limpers, i come in for a raise (although with any hand i play near the button i come if for a raise if there were all limpers). I like doing this to try to buy the button (if i am not on it). It also often gets you a free card after the flop if you want it. Or if there is a bet on the flop, a raise will usually get you a free turn card.

Again, this is all 10-seated.

GeoffM 01-28-05 03:53 PM

:rolleyes:

All this jargon and you call yourself a PokerNovice?

bdawg31 01-28-05 05:56 PM

lol - yeah, i guess 'novice' is a relative term

Talking Poker 01-28-05 06:29 PM

I think this supports my online tell theory. PokerNovice sounds a lot like a poker expert to me. Sorry if I blew your cover, but you've made some nice contributions lately. You playing in the tourney Sunday?