The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   TP Suggestions/Problems (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   TPF specific terms????? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14343)

Invigilator 07-25-08 07:06 AM

TPF specific terms?????

This is one for the glossary I know I need help / contributions for. What TPFisms do we need to explain to noobs to help them get up to speed / comprehension faster?

awesomer
SWA
TP
TPF

others?????????

Nikita 07-25-08 08:18 AM

kiss of death

Talking Poker 07-25-08 01:34 PM

aka KOD

I'm sure there are many more... anyone?

drewjax 07-25-08 07:10 PM

dont forget you must combine the first two into a seperate, but equally important, term!

SWAsomer ftw

also, maybe some more specific info about members (current/former) and what we sometimes call them.

i.e.

JD
Boobie Lover
eejit
etc.

:twocents:

Talking Poker 07-26-08 02:41 AM

Meh... I thought about that, but I don't think it's necessary. And would be too difficult to be comprehensive.

Invigilator 07-26-08 04:57 PM

SWA has developed into a sort of adjective, but tends to be used only by those in the circle of first hand experience.

Screen-names cross over into the realm of bio's.

Talking Poker 07-26-08 11:04 PM

It's a verb, obv.

You SWA your roll. You aren't a SWA player.

Invigilator 07-26-08 11:18 PM

multifunction speech component then. Swa modifies awesomer to create swasomer. It can be both.

OW is a bit of an etymologist, so I'll have her look at the manner in which it tends to be used.

Talking Poker 07-26-08 11:57 PM

It can also be a noun, obv.... like as in, he went SWA last night.

Invigilator 07-27-08 08:46 AM

That sounds like and adverb. In this case SWA describes how he went.

Clearly, as a locally created piece of speech, this has developed a versatility that will only be restricted by the methods of common usage.

The F word functions in the same manner. It can be all forms of speech.

All we need to be clear on is "what" the use of swa ultimately indicates.

Nikita 07-27-08 10:33 AM

ok geeks. You are putting too much effort into the definition of SWA. ;)

Invigilator 07-27-08 10:38 AM

ouch. I'v been called a geek by a larper. That stings.

Nikita 07-27-08 10:41 AM

:thumbsup:

yeah I'm an uber-geek too. sadly, I love etymology too, but more for the origins and how words evolve and change.

Talking Poker 07-27-08 01:17 PM

Definitely not an adverb. Substitute "crazy," not "crazily." Agree with the f bomb comparison, but note that no one would ever say someone fuckily played a hand. They could SWA it up though.

Invigilator 07-27-08 02:47 PM

At the very least we are dealing with an adverbial. Just as the noun, "home" can function as an adverb, modifying the verb "went", as in the phrase "I went home", the above Swa modifies the verb went.

Fortunately, the glossary will not be identifying the part of speech that each entry belongs to. At the very least however, clarifying the meaning has brought our attention to the diversity of this unique piece of site specific dialogue. Truely, TPF-speak is a living, developing language.

My, this is exciting.

Talking Poker 07-28-08 01:36 AM

Man, you Canadians teach some messed up English up there. You don't even put your commas in the right place!

LOL at "home" being and adverb. Noun = Person, place or thing. Home = noun. 3rd grade English. :rolleyes:

Adverbs are words that proceed verys and end in "ily." Like, the forum quickly lost interest in this _adjective_ thread.