The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jay's weak WSOP (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2518)

2Tone 07-12-05 06:23 PM

Jay's weak WSOP

I haven't been kind in assessing ESPN's Jackpot Jay's play all year, and now's no time to start.

In he details a number of his hands from the ME. Most of them I'm Ok with. But this one ...

2) With one limper already in -- the button -- I completed the small blind to $100 with A-8 unsuited. The big blind checked. The flop came J-6-3, all clubs, and my ace was a club. I checked, the big blind bet $500, the button called, and I called, since I was getting better than 2-1 pot odds (though probably not much in the way of implied odds, since, if a fourth club showed up, it would have been hard to get anybody to call for any amount, no matter how small). The jack of spades came on the turn. I checked; the big blind checked; the button bet $2,000; and I folded, which was fortuitous, because the big blind check-raised to $5,000 and the button went all-in. After a long huddle, the big blind folded, showing his Q-J. The button did not show his hand, even after much wheedling by the big blind -- "Hey, I showed mine" -- but a good guess would be 6-6 or 3-3, don't you think?

I probably would have led with a $500 bet after the flop. Assuming I did check (and I can see the argument for this) I would have re-raised to 3k and tried to pick it up right there. If he comes back all-in, I have a very tough decision to make, but so be it.

Once the jack comes on the turn, if he has a full house, he wins, and I'm out. Otherwise, I'm taking this pot. Lead with a good size bet, re-raise if possible.

How would you have played it?

2Tone 07-12-05 11:17 PM

17 views ...

And nobody has thoughts on how it should have been played?

junYUN 07-12-05 11:23 PM

there's no way you lead out into this pot and win it... you cannot convince your opponent you flopped a flush and are just going to simply lead out... i probably would have check-raised the flop... however if i got called by both players i'm stopping right there (especially when the J hits on the turn)

2Tone 07-12-05 11:35 PM

Make him show his full house

I seem to be in the minority about freaking out about this hand.

I can see checking on the flop, assuming you have the intention of check raising, which Junyun and I agree on. But a paired board isn't slowing me down here. Him having J/6 or J/3 is very unlikely, so all I'm really worried about here is a pair of jacks (meaning he has quads, and I'm really screwed), 6s or 3s. That's three possible hands, one of them a serious long shot. Meanwhile, I have the absolute nut flush, and I want to get paid off.

junYUN 07-13-05 12:39 AM

i don't know if you noticed this, but he did NOT have a flush. he had a flush draw... only had Ac.....

2Tone 07-13-05 12:48 AM

Flush with embarrassment

Of course, junyun is right. <Hangs head in shame>. I guess I should learn to count clubs before getting so worked up about a hand.

nutbag 07-13-05 12:55 AM

But Jay is an clueless poker player for having played(seiously) for a year, and a mediocre writer. Calling is definately weakest here. I take what is probably the less risky manuver here and bet out. If nobody's got a pair or a decent club, they'll probably just give up on the hand(smallish pot), if somebody has something, you'll be able to fold pretty easily. Check raising is also a good move here too, but you'd at least have to double/triple the bet, and that's a little to much risk for me for what is initially a small pot.

junYUN 07-13-05 05:18 AM

i bet if he check-raised the size of the pot (or all-in depending on if thats a slight more or not) he would have won it right there...