The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   NFL Survivor Pool (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2944)

GeoffM 08-21-05 04:04 PM

NFL Survivor Pool

Any interest on this site?

I assume most know the rules. No spread or anything. Every player gets to pick just 1 winner per week, they lose you're out. Just a WIN.

You can only pick any team once, so no New England every week.

Anyone want to get this going. I was thinking maybe a $20 entry to be paid at the end of the pool.

ChipFish 08-21-05 05:20 PM

Yep. But you have to enter the NHL one too :p

lightfungus 08-21-05 06:34 PM

Im in Im in Im in Im in.

JDMcNugent7 08-21-05 08:27 PM

I'm game.

GeoffM 08-22-05 04:33 PM

Chip, could you also sticky this?

The NFL pool is much easier and I have no idea running it myself. Basically, the season starts September 8th so anyone who is in (including above) please PM me your email just to confirm. I will create the initial spreadsheet sometime in the next week or two.

I will cut-off signups effective September 5th as I have an exam to write and won't have time until after September 12th to actually record week 1 results. We'll say $20 and I don't know if you guys would be more comfortable transferring the money to me if you get knocked out via Pokerstars or whatnot, or if you all wanted to wait until the end and just pay up to the winner. Either way, my roll is large enough that I am not going to run from the forum with all your money.

Signups start now and September 5th is the cut-off.

Rules:
-You may only pick any team once for the entire season.
-You are simply betting one game a week, no spread, just a winner.
-Lose one game and you're out and you lose $20.
-I will be revealing everyone's pick every week on a spreadsheet after the Sunday games. As such, I would have to ask everyone to pm me their pick on a weekly basis and I will in-turn pm randomly one of you my pick to avoid me or others from cheating and/or editing posts.

I will compile and post (with an edit) those who have confirmed to be in the pool on a daily basis.

Let the pms begin boys :).

Penguinfan 08-22-05 05:43 PM

Since I have been in about 50,000 of these I would say put a deadline of midnight Saturday since you aren't using spreads anyway and post everyone's plays BEFORE the games start on Sunday.

When money is involved you need to leave no hint of wrong doing.

GeoffM 08-22-05 09:06 PM

PenguinFan, season starts on a Thursday ;) .

Penguinfan 08-23-05 01:13 PM

I'm sure you get my point though.

ChipFish 08-23-05 01:39 PM

You are going to have a VERY lonely pool...
Unless ALL picks are public knowledge BEFORE the games start, I'm out. :cool:

lightfungus 08-23-05 03:42 PM

Well whats going on here, do we have interest or what??? Im still in this thing, but I would like to see everyones pick before the games start each week.

GeoffM 08-23-05 05:19 PM

Whoops...

The only problem is last minute picks though. How do I do it if someone pms me 12:59 gameday? I'd be posting mid-game.

ChipFish 08-24-05 12:49 AM

Make the deadline Earlier? :rolleyes:
If you don't have to play against the spread, you certainly do NOT need to wait right until game time to make a pick. :rolleyes:

PShabi 08-24-05 08:34 AM

I'll play.

GeoffM 08-24-05 10:47 AM

OK, deadline for picks will be Friday at midnight EST and they have to be pm'd to me.

Confirmed so far:
Me :D
Chipfish
Lightfungus
JDMcNugent
pshabi
TP

Penguin? Anyone else? Buehler?

Also, where are all the hockey fans on this site? Is it true the U.S. is a shitty hockey market after all, or are we all just scared of the Canuckers wiping the floor with y'all?

Talking Poker 08-24-05 11:03 AM

I'm a big time football guy (flying to PA for our annual fantasy football auction this weekend (and a poker tourney too)), but I've never done a survivor pool. I'm not sure I'm all that interested.

But if you guys really don't like money, go ahead and sign me up.

GeoffM 08-24-05 11:20 AM

You're a big time football fan, but have never done a survivor pool :eek: .

You can't be that big a fan.

You're in :D .

Penguinfan 08-24-05 12:03 PM

Can't, sorry.

PShabi 08-24-05 12:12 PM

Do you think it was a concidence that nobody gave a fuck when the NHL was locked out? No one cares about hockey.

Nascar is bigger than hockey. That's sad and disturbing at the same time.

GeoffM 08-24-05 01:13 PM

Well, Nascar apparently is also bigger than the NFL, NBA, and MLB, so I take this comment as irrelevant :p.

lightfungus 08-24-05 02:29 PM

WHat??!??!!

GeoffM 08-24-05 02:32 PM

Nascar is the most popular sport in North America now.

Penguinfan 08-24-05 03:04 PM

Among those with less than 14 teeth and 35 brain cells, yes it is absurdly popular.

Hold on, I gotta turn left again.

lightfungus 08-24-05 04:04 PM

I think sports should involve you and your body.

Penguinfan 08-24-05 04:07 PM

Try explaining that to the programming monkeys at ESPN.

***looks through TV guide to find upcoming spelling bee and Scrabble episodes***

lightfungus 08-24-05 04:14 PM

You know poker is in the same boat as scrabble and the spelling bee...