The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will you show? (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742)

Penguinfan 12-11-04 03:47 PM

Will you show?

What is with people who bet a hand against a scarry looking board, get raised and then ask if they fold with the raiser show his hand? First off your not seeing my hand unless you pay for it, second will it make you feel better about yourself if you were betting the worst hand the whole way and ran into the nuts, or would you feel better knowing someone just bluffed you out of a nice size pot? Either way it doesn't help you, unless you really think you can learn something from that one particular hand.

Please stop letting the timer get to zero begging for a free look and just fold your hand and move on.

Tuff Luck 12-11-04 03:50 PM

I might ask if I'm playing in a home game where the atmosphere is completely different, and sometimes I'll show too. More often I'll "forget what I had" though. :D

Anywhere else, I never show.

Windbreaker 12-11-04 04:09 PM

They want to know if they made the correct decision....it's always best to never show and let them think about it.

Tuff Luck 12-11-04 05:25 PM

^I agree, but I don't take things as seriously at a home game so I will show sometimes.

Gutzz 12-11-04 06:23 PM

I think yeah they do it to make sure they made the correct fold. Usually done by people who call too often and are trying to learn to fold good hands :).

Personally I love it when I think for a few seconds after someone bets hard into me, and they show me the nuts... Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, but I never ask for them to show...

Does anyone predict what the other guy has before folding? It has happened a few times where I have KK and flop/turn is 55aa and they'll check raise me and I'll occasionally say, "555aa?" and then muck. they show I'm right :). I hate it when people always do these predictions tho.

Cheers,

Gutzz

Penguinfan 12-11-04 06:28 PM

I don't mind when they try to guess the other guys cards, as long as the pot is heads up at this point. But the begging to see the cards and holding up the game drives me nuts. Of course there is always the guy who folds then tells what he had and nobodu believes him.

Gutzz 12-11-04 06:31 PM

Oh for sure. People who say what they mucked when the hand is still happening are the worst :).

You'd be surprised how many people who fold and say what they folded aren't lying... I of course think they gain zero by saying it, and actually lose a little edge, but whatever :).

Cheers,

Gutzz

Penguinfan 12-11-04 06:33 PM

This should get you booted for a while for sure. Usually beat up in a casiono, and well deserved.

sjay2k 12-12-04 05:39 AM

I show quite a lot, usually to put people on tilt (is there any other reason?)

:)

BrianSwa 12-12-04 05:42 AM

your at the wrong tables

if you getting poeple on tilt by showing them then they suck as players to get that mad. The other reason you show is either give image of a loose or tight player.

sjay2k 12-12-04 05:50 AM

I think that even good players can be put on tilt.

BrianSwa 12-12-04 05:53 AM

hmmm

maybe it all depends I guess. Most will just take notes on you mentally it helps them to read you when you show your cards so why give away free information.

2Tone 12-13-04 06:24 PM

Does it work?

There was another thread about this in which I argued against ever showing, unless it is a home game and you are goofing around with buddies. But I'm curious about if this worked for you. Did people tilt as a result of seeing your hand? Or just as the thread suggests, just make a note of it for the next time they run into you?

fonzerelli_79 12-13-04 08:42 PM

yeah its either that or they say - what kicker have you got - ive got a 7, does that beat you

i dont mind chat at the tables but i ignore any references about the actual game in play