The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I don't know if this is worth my time (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8050)

Reel Deal 08-28-06 03:29 PM

I don't know if this is worth my time

Started the month off great up about $700 on the $100 NL tables at Titan are really felt like my game had gone up a level (getting better at reads and playing a style opposite of the table). But the last half of the month has been a string of bad beats and bad luck (3-outers, 2-outers, runner runner, 4-flushes, you name it and I've seen it in the last couple weeks) and I'm now well in the hole for the month. I won more money consistantly 12 months ago when I knew a lot less about poker than I do now. I just don't know if I need this frustration.

bdawg31 08-28-06 03:56 PM

Sometimes i wonder if after we pass that first learning curve, when we have learned something about actually playing poker - if we get too clever for our own good. Overthing hands, getting too cute, etc.

Quint 08-28-06 04:21 PM

It's funny how it seems to run in streaks like this. I'm sure if you kept at it the pendulum would swing back in your favor. What I usually do when this happens to me is go to a different game for a while; from limit, to NL, to SnG's, and even a few experiments with Omaha. But in almost every case I have success for a while then it starts to fade away, so I jump to another game for awhile.

Talking Poker 08-28-06 04:51 PM

You may have been on an expecially good run earlier this month (hnds that should win 70% of the time winning 90% of the time, etc) and not realized it... and now you are on the opposite end of that. That's how variance in poker works and everyone goes through it.

But I know the frustration you are talking about all too well... I think anyone who has played a lot of poker does. Unfortunately, it's part of the game.

Zybomb 08-28-06 06:23 PM

I agree 100%

Giving opponents too much credit. Making more laydowns because "we'll outplay the bad players later on".

I know I was much more aggressive than I am now, although it was more wild aggression and now I have sleected aggression (and have reasons for everything I do...or at least I try to)

But Ive wondered the same thing sometimes

Robbie Robb 08-28-06 06:27 PM

I, too, often wonder if I'm giving the other players too much credit. I think now that I've moved up in stakes, I'm folding much more - but when I see the hands people are showing down with, I keep kicking myself in the ass saying "stupid stupid stupid - I should have stayed in with my KQo" (or A9s or...you get the idea).

New Guy 08-28-06 07:28 PM

Ive been going thru the same transition this month. Came out of the gate playing great poker. making some good coin , then the cards turned and im questioning on-line play. From time to time I say to myself i'll only play live but online has become such a part of my life and so convenient to boot that I guess we need to just fight thru and find a happy medium and win more over the long haul! I think you need to question yourself constantly to keep your edge and to continue to learn.Play smart and win!! Good luck all!!

jaeh00d 08-28-06 11:10 PM

TP hit the nail on the head there, it is very true... in poker the player goes through stretches like that..