The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question for winning Limit Players (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995)

jdiana86 01-02-05 09:54 PM

Question for winning Limit Players

I have just started playing limit, and was wondering how to play out of the small blind. i.e., small blind with 73o and I'm getting 9.5 to 1. Do I call or fold?

Aequitas58 01-03-05 02:53 AM

Call half a bet? Sure, why not. It's a trash hand, but if you hit, you'll get paid off. That's just how I see it.

Tone? Sir?

ChipFish 01-03-05 03:01 AM

Fold.

Think about what kind of flop has to hit for you to stay in the hand.
if you hit a 7-7-x or 3-3-x or 3-7-x flop, what do you do?
You are in alot of trouble here.
Not worth playing under most conditions.

Aequitas58 01-03-05 03:24 AM

Check raise?

Gutzz 01-03-05 03:35 AM

If i'm getting 9:1 or something SB, I wanna have at least a suited gapper or something decent like that. I don't bother with garbage hands cause even if you hit it hard, you're not that likely to get much action.

Cheers,

Gutzz

ChipFish 01-03-05 04:11 AM

You are missing the point.
How many times are you going to miss?
How many times are you going to hit?
If you do manage to hit. how many bets are you going to win?
This is simply a money losing hand no matter ]how you try and play it.

save your half a bet, and pick a better spot.

But if you play me (and I have been looking for you) then please play that stuff.

On a side note... Any particular reason you tend to log-on and not play any tables? (like right now for instance... 4:10am you've been logged on for a few hours and I still cannot find you.... either you are hiding yourself from search, playing multi-tables or just sitting there.....) :confused:

jdiana86 01-03-05 02:30 PM

I'm playing $1/2 limit right now, so I'll probably be getting paid off.

PShabi 01-03-05 04:02 PM

In this situation, Lee Jones says you can play any suited cards, any Ace or King, and any connectors down to 45os.

He doesn't really say anything about pot odds, just that you can play these from the small blind usually in low limit games. He's probably assuming the odds you refer to or better.

Personally, I don't play any King. I like to have K10 or better unless it's suited. Also, I tend to fold those connectors if they're unsuited. Will play a 9 10os, maybe 89os but that's stretching it.

Other than that, I stick with what Jones says.

I recently tightened up significantly in the SB and it saves me a lot of money in the long run.

Aequitas58 01-03-05 04:08 PM

I'm hidden from search.

I don't like people spying on me.

jdiana86 01-03-05 10:17 PM

Yea, I have recently been calling with just about anything from the small blind, because usually I'm getting ridiculous odds. It's hard to tell whether it will be worth it or not, but when the odds are double the number of players in the hand, it's hard to even lay a 24o down.

johnbaker 01-03-05 10:58 PM

...why? i want to see you play too....its not like we're going to mess you up

Aequitas58 01-03-05 11:02 PM

Why do you want to see me play? I'm terrible. Ask Tone and TP. :)

johnbaker 01-03-05 11:04 PM

its not that i want to SEE you play, i want to play you.... as soon as my fucking account get unfrozen.....

Aequitas58 01-03-05 11:14 PM

That's very valiant... wanting to play me, and "take me down," but it isn't going to happen. I'm not playing anyone heads up right now, and if you sit at a full ring game with me, you WON'T trap me. There are easier opponents.

Trust me.

ChipFish 01-03-05 11:41 PM

You didn't ask ChipFish yet. ;)

Aequitas58 01-03-05 11:46 PM

What the fuck, EVERYONE wants a piece of me?

Talking Poker 01-03-05 11:55 PM

Well, you are the resident... um... yeah.

ChipFish 01-03-05 11:58 PM

hee hee hee...

Oh yeah, Tomorrow morning I'll work on that list TP.

ChipFish 01-04-05 12:02 AM

Lou won the Sit-N-Go I was spying on...
Good for him :D

2Tone 01-04-05 12:06 AM

Late to the thread ...

It really depends on what has happened in front of me.

If I have two or more limpers, I'll call a half-bet with nearly any hand, but won't bluff it if the flop misses me. You love to see suited connectors in this situation, with a chance to flop a monster that few would put you on. But if there is a raise in front of me, I'll let it go or three-bet if I have a very strong hand.

This is another reason not to play above your limit. At 2/4, I don't hesitate to see a flop that could pay off for me. At 5/10 I might not do so, which means I shouldn't be playing it.

johnbaker 01-04-05 01:14 AM

lol.... resident asshole?

ey lou i dont want 'a piece of you', i just want to play a friendly match to see who's better.... id like to play anyone whos willing on this forum actually, i just jumped to the conclusion that you're one of the better players on here, and naturally i wanted to play you.

BrianSwa 01-04-05 02:18 AM

hey

dont mean to be nosey but winning a heads up against lou...can you really say that makes you better then him? or anyone for that matter. Lou beating TP does that make him better then TP? I think not, Ive never played with Lou or Tp or anyone from here for that matter so I have no clue on how well they play. TP is giving out alot of money and paying for this site so I seem to believe either he has a great job or is a good player, Lou seems to do good enough to keep himself playing so he sounds decent also. Now im not one to support anything Lou does but just beating him in a heads up match this one time really cant be used to tell if you better then him. Now if you guys played 100+ games heads up and you where up on him by a good percentage that might be different.

Im on alot of forum's and I must say that this forum has some of the best insight into the game I have read, which is why I really didnt want to leave. I concider myself a decent player that has had good sucess with lower limit B&M games, but I still have alot to learn. Once again sorry to interupt carry on the trash talk :)

eddo31 01-04-05 02:28 AM

this is hilarious. brianswa was able to reference the fact that he "no longer posts here" in a post. tremendous unintentional comedy. i fully expect teh "i dont post here anymore" posts to continue for the rest of the year.

BrianSwa 01-04-05 02:32 AM

ok

I was told I could come back If I wanted to and since MOST of the players here have something constructive to say I wanted to come back. Even Lou which everyone knows I can't stand has good insight into the game and I like reading his post's. But hey if you life is soo sad that you get enjoyment from it go right ahead laugh it up.

eddo31 01-04-05 02:38 AM

brian

personally, i would prefer that you were an active member of the forum. all i was saying is that it is amusing that someone would make a post that claimed that they werent posting anymore.

i would like to see this forum grow while still staying on topic, just so that the viewpoints that we get are more varied, and so that there is more content to discuss.

welcome back.