View Single Post
Old 05-15-07, 07:39 PM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

Then poker players are more compliant than waiters and bartenders.

I have never in my life met a waiter or Bartender that reports $0.01 more than the 8% of sales his/her employer reports to the IRS as tip income.

As for #2, they won't know about it unless someone clues them in. If clued in, its a virtual lock they'll do it. Remember, they want to "protect" us.

On the other hand, as long as sports betting is involved in legalization, Frank's bill doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing, so the discussion is purely academic.

To my mind, the UIGEA vs Frank's bill is a Hobson's choice. I've come around to the PPA stance of a carve-out for poker because it maintains the status quo of offshore online poker.

Now I admit to a couple personal reasons for feeling this way.

1) I live (and now work) a comfortable distance from a B&M poker room (2 next spring when Mohegan reintroduces poker).

2) The tax laws regarding gambling income are flat out punitive, especially when you factor in the specter of the AMT. And a change to a Democratic administration in '08, while it may help water down the UIGEA, will absolutely not mitigate the tax implications. We may well win the UIGEA battle but ultimately lose the war.

This issue brings me perilously close to breaking my vow not to discuss politics on this forum, but my libertarian voice requires I remind all involved that this country originally arose from a tax revolt, and in that respect (as well as during football season ) I am a true patriot.

Old Norse adage