Thread: Home Game News
View Single Post
Old 09-14-07, 04:17 PM
Shark

studiopet has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsstudiopet has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsstudiopet has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default Home Game News

You know, I really don't play home games much. Never really have. Been perfectly content sitting in front of my PC playing cards w/a beer. Anyhow, I was invited to one the other night by some friends so I went. 5 people playing.

Little stuff...started with 2K in chips (20$ buy in) and blinds at 10/20. Watched a little bit to see how things played out. Pretty normal fare I guess, loose play etc. Raises being called with the "have to keep you honest" motto.

I started out playing like I normally do, raising 3x the BB, betting 1/2 to 3/4 size pot bets etc. Everyone calling to keep me honest etc. Winning some, loosing some to hands like K6 off, Aanything off etc. Friendly game so no big deal. I figured I had to get paid off eventually so I patiently played, tightened up my game.

Finally towards the end of the game, I have a modest stack of about 3500 or so in chips and I'm on the SB with 4 people left. Dealt AJ. Every1 limps as do I since my PFR raises were useless. Flop comes 6A3 rainbow. I bet out 1K. This was a "large" bet for this table. BB instacalls. I figured I would get at least one caller based on the play I had seen and the fact that it took an act of congress to get the table to fold after the flop. Now this BB I watched all night win pots with middle pair, bottom pair, A high no kicker etc. I bought a couple off of him and I could tell behind his smile was a bit of agitation. Other two fold so its me and him. To be honest, I put him on a little A and I had it set in my mind I was pushing the turn since the pot pretty much represented the rest of my stack and I was pretty certain I was ahead.

Turn comes 8 and I shove. He calls and we both flip. I was wrong in my assessment when he flipped 88. Hit is set on the turn and was so proud. Naturally I loose and call it an evening. I wasn't really to disappointed as he was kind enough to call my post flop bet on a 2 outter but the conversation that ensued, and will more than likely tonight, kinda caught me off guard.

The table seemed shocked that I would make a flop bet like that and that I shoved on the turn. I debated trying to explain my logic to them but just smiled and headed home to go to bed (it was late). They thought I was all bitter because I didnt' rebuy. I told them I wasn't and that I loved him calling my flop bet on a 2 outter. I don't think they understood though.

So my question for you home gamer types is this. How do you play a home game where the concept of pot odds, PFR raises and hand percentages *completely* alludes the entire table? Sit and wait for the nuts? Mind you, prior to this game we had to discuss the following situation:

Flop is ??A 2 players left both have . One has little and one has QJ 2 Flushes but one with a Q and one with little . Some players thought this was a split pot. A 15 minute conversation ensued and it was finally sorted out.

I think when I see every1 again I'm just going to reply with "man that was sick" and leave it at that.

Last edited by studiopet; 09-14-07 at 04:36 PM.