View Single Post
Old 01-25-05, 08:33 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Lou, I noticed you had mentioned there would be no way of making $4,000 playing .50/1.00. I tend to disagree with you there, however possibly in the hold'em environment you are correct. Hell, I've been playing basically .50/1.00 (with the exception of winning $100 this weekend playing 1/2) O8 on PP and UB, and I am up $800+ this month alone, and I really do the majority of my playing on the weekend.

Brian, I find that better players play during weekdays. If you have a chance to sit down and just have two 8 hour sessions on the weekend (or 4 hours, 2 table), I guarantee you will see a large spike in your session profits. If you just want to have fun, then just play hold'em. I'm honestly beyond having fun now, I am in poker for the money first (aren't we all really though?). If you can, and I also suggest this to anyone else on this board, learn how to play O8, and I mean really learn how to play. Take some flops at the cheapo tables or free tables. Learn how to read the board and your hand. There is a reason I make so much off of O8 and it is that people are simply very inexperienced and cannot read the board properly. I still come across people all the time that have 3 to a straight flush in their hand, and don't realize that they can only use 2 of those cards.

It is a new game and people will catch on in time. However, I think that once they catch on, those of us (eddo, omahilo, johnbaker, sorry if I missed someone) who already know what we're doing are still ahead of the curve because we are all beyond just simply reading a board and calculating odds. I'm at the point now where I don't even need to think. Instead now I am focusing on real estate bets and playing a little more aggressively since I am comfortable taking a flop with any hand and playing after it (not that I take every flop). Betting is much more critical in O8 IMO than it is in hold'em. Oh, and stick to limit for now, don't want a bad beat to take your stack.