View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 11:12 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

This thread has gone from semi-strange to well.... I don't know what.

Bankroll management has been discusses here dozens of times - hit the search box if you are looking for more.

But I will add:

Sitting with a short stack while learning and trying to improve your basic game (as opposed to a short stack specific approach which would be completely pointless at micro limits anyway) is a bad idea. Sit with a freaking full stack - or move down. I guess the exception to this would be when you are already playing the lowest limits available and can't move any lower. My advice then would be to stop playing, read some books, do your homework, whatever, until you are comfortable playing with a full buy in. Whatever you do, DO NOT move up until you are playing the current level with a full buy in. Don't even think about it.

And yeah, Ando (not to single you out, dude, but I completely disagree with what Invigilator said about you) claims his short stack strategy works, but from what I've seen, I don't believe it. I suspect any success he has had playing like this would be from short term variance more than anything else.

As for when to move back down after moving up, I'm not sure why this is even a question:

If you have $900, that's 18 buy ins at $50, right? So, if your limit is 20, you're below your limit, so move down. To avoid immediately having to move down if you take one beat after moving up, wait to move up until you have 25 buy ins and then move back down when you get to 20 (for example). Simple. If you insist on moving up when you get to exactly 20, move back down when you drop to 18. But FFS, don't sit there and blow your entire roll after things are going south, just because you WERE rolled for a game! That's the whole point of bankroll management and this 20x buy in guideline.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker