View Single Post
Old 01-28-05, 05:32 PM
Thousand Post Club

Gordogg has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsGordogg has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsGordogg has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsGordogg has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

Every player plays for different reasons. Most players play to make money. If that is your goal it shouldn't bother you that you are playing ABC, you are achieving your goal. If it bothers you that you aren't improving your overall poker skills when grinding it out with the fish (even though you are winning) then maybe you play poker for other reasons as well.

Some tournament players play soley for the challenge. Paul Phillips, Barry Greenstein, Ben Afleck etcc... the money doesn't necesarrily matter to them, they are rich bastards (heh). They play for brain stimulation and the feeling of satisfaction that comes along with beating any game you competivley play with another person. Especially if the competition is the best in the world. When they first started they enjoyed improving their skills and eventually became World Class players (I know Ben isn't there yet). The money is a nice bonus but not their motivation. They want to improve their game and win tourneys, become the best players they possibly can.

I personally play to make the most money possible. But I do enjoy reading about poker, thinking about poker, and improving my game as much as possible.
I think you can find a happy medium between the two by setting bankroll goals and when you reach that goal move up limits. Eventually you will be playing with better players and therefore will improve your game even more. And hopefully you improve enough at each level to make money too.

My two cents.
ChiefBigtoke