View Single Post
Old 01-10-08, 06:06 PM
squeezed the charmin

melioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Wow, this is a great thread Zy. + Rep for sure. And it comes for me at a time when I am really working on my postflop play, so I appreciate it even more. My caveats are that I don't play live or full ring. But similar situations are found online and in 6-max games, whether it be a donk bet and a caller or a CB and a caller and you are holding a good, but not great, draw. I am of two minds here.

First is that you are just about getting the pot odds you need to call, even just to look at the turn. You have 9 clean outs and your A counts for maybe one out here, if only that an A falls on the turn you will probably be calling another bet to see the river. So calling seems like a good play, you are getting close to pot odds to chase your draw and, due to two (or more) signs of strength in front of you, you realistically can expect one person to pay off at least one more bet if your draw hits. Also there is major strength shown in front of you, so you have to expect that if you raise here you don't have a ton of FE. So calling seems good.

Raising also seems like a solid play here. I am calling it 10 outs here, counting your A for one out, so although we have discounted our FE, we still probably have some. And if you held a set here you would raise this 100%, right? So I think it is good to raise here at least some of the time, both to take it down and for meta-game (I hate that word but I am cooking dinner and the kids are going fucking apeshit right now so I can't 'plain what I really mean and meta-game comes close).

In my own game I am slowly coming to the realization that mixing it is probably the best thing to do, but with made hands (like a set) and draws like this one. My problem is that it is easy as shit to type those words but hard to do and incorporate into my game. Calling with a set here just seems dirty, and raising and getting allin here seems a little crazy to me. But I think the key is to do both some of the time. I will think about it over my thai golden tofu and get back to you later.

edit to add-this is assuming that opponents are decent

Last edited by melioris; 01-10-08 at 07:15 PM.