View Single Post
Old 10-31-04, 08:32 PM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

yes a fold here would be extremely difficult, I would almost only fold here if i suspected a set. I've only ran into an overpair in this situation once in my NL cash game playing, except it was my KK vs AA. I was shortstacked preflop with blinds at .5/1, and a little pissed because my QQ didnt hold up against an idiotic all in preflop play with AK. I had $12 or so left, so i raised it to $6 in late position (I had caused a Helmouth worthy scene when the guy rivered his ace vs my QQ, so I knew everyone would expect me to be tilted). the AK jackass called from the button with AQ, and my friend in the big blind reraised me 8 more. I knew he mustve had something huge, probably JJ-AA, but I just didnt want to believe that he had AA at that point. The pot was pretty huge anyways, so entering as a 4 to 1 dog would give me the appropriate pot odds to call even if he did have aces. I called my last 5.50 or 6 or whatever it was with KK, the AQ guy folded face up and thought it was an epic laydown... what a jackass. anyways the reraiser DID have AA, and i ended up losing the pot. I didnt feel bad at all though, for a couple of very important reasons:

1) I put the AQ guy on just that; somethign like AJ, AQ, or AK. This makes the chances of AA half as likely as normal, so I basically HAD to call the reraiser (statistically)

2) When i lose a pot when i put ALL my money in with the best hand, i cause scenes. When i lose because i misplayed a hand, i dont care at all because theres no one to blame but myself.

the first reason is probably what convinced me to call, because for all i knew the reraiser could have QQ, and with an ace PROBABLY out of the equation, the chances of someone having AA was around 500 to 1. the reraiser is pretty tight/aggressive and if he thought i was overplaying my hand from the button, it would make perfect sense for him to reraise with QQ from the big blind. looking back, i probably would have called anyways just because i didnt want to believe he had the aces (even if i had not gotten the clue that the other guy had an ace), because I wasnt good enough to fold KK preflop back then. It was a good learning experience though.

-jB