View Single Post
Old 11-18-04, 11:04 PM
Donkey

DaTruPoker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Interestingly enough I just finished Sklanskys Tournament for advanced players. The gap conecept is one of, if not his main point in the book. i agree with it 100% in tourneys. However, in cash games I will often limp with hands I would raise with in tourneys, as in side games my goal is to win large pots and in tourneys just to take down the pot ASAP. EX: In a low limit NL game(25-50 buy in) I will NEVEr raise with a low-mid(about 10s) PP. I will try to either hit a set or have it all be undercards and win a large pot. however, later in a tourney I will raise with almost any hand. The biggest improvement I recevied from reading his book is that he suggests raising based almost entirely on position, and not cards. Reason: Raising with 2-7 OS is obviously easy to get away from if someone comes over the top. However, what if you hold kq, aj, a10 etc etc?? you can get in much more trouble this way. In tourneys I raise with ANY 2 cards if i have a decent stack, am at least within 3 seats of the button, and no one has entered the pot in front of me. The largest perk of this is that you will get paid off immenslet when you do hold a large hand. I strugge myself when I raise with decent hands and someone comes over the top. however, I have had plays with AJ and someone moves in after I raise it with my AJ and I call and he has a K 5 or Q 9 thinking that I am alot weaker than I am. So I must also adjust my game to my table image. People not giving me enough credit for a hand. But I play poker to be aggressive in tourneys, thats the fun of it, aint it?

just my tourney strategy.