Thread: Fun Night
View Single Post
Old 02-03-06, 01:27 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Stupid TP. Right you are - the 3s weren't outs. But still, the point is, you need to calculate the odds when the money goes in, not at some other random time in the hand.

If the money goes all in preflop with your AA against some dude's 23 and the flop comes 223 and the turn is a 3 and the river is an Ace - he really shouldn't be comaplinaing aobut the "Bad Beat" he took, now should he?

As for your question, it depends on a lot of things namely the size of your bankroll. If you want to bet me $1 on a random number draw where I have numbers 1-51 and you have the numbers 52-100, I'll play you all day long. But, if you wanted to bet $1 million dollars on the same exact bet, I'd have to pass, even if you gave me 1 through 80 and you took 81-100. Even as a 4:1 dog, I simply can't risk the 20% chance of me losing $1 million. Now..... I may try to sell some of my action to a high roller type, but you see the point.

In poker though, assuming you are playing a cash game within your bankroll, you WANT to take those slight edges as much as you can. If your opponent turned his cards face up and you could see that you were a 51% favorite and the pot was laying you even money (or better, which it usually is), then yes, you should call.

In a TOURNEY however, that is not the case... AT ALL. In a cash game, if you go broke, you simply reload, but in a tourney, you are done. So in a tourney you need to avoid those situations (unless you feel that you are a much weaker player than your competition, in which case you should be taking risks and playing for big pot coinflip situations).

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker