View Single Post
Old 04-04-06, 11:48 AM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default It is somewhat..

I think anyone who has played poker for a while has to ask themselves these questions. Night after night your winning money so someone is losing it. A percentage of those who are losing have alot of disposable income so it does not effect them. I think a smaller percentage have no self control and lose money they can not afford to lose. The question is should you care that you are taking money from this second group of people. It is hard to answer. I guess you should care but ultimately we are responsible for our decisions in life. I have made many bad decisions and paid for them, and many good ones that have helped me out. So while I hope people with gambling problems would get help I do not feel it is my responsability to make them get help by leaving the game or anything of that sort.

I have seen alot of degenerate gamblers, mostly at the blackjack tables, and nothing is going to stop them. I once was siting at Foxwoods and a guy came in dressed in McDonalds type garb and dropped several bills in fifteen minutes and left. I am pretty sure it was his weeks pay. While I hope he gets some help I would not boycott Foxwoods because of it.

If you are concerned about the morality of the game obviously you can quit. I know alot of REALLY good poker players who have gone pro and have had fights with the nagging though: Does Poker contribute anything to society, and am I anything but a leech. Everyone works out these questions there own way.