Thread: I got Punk'd.
View Single Post
Old 04-18-06, 01:35 PM
Doesn't 2011 start the next decade?

Robbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

The highlight is the absolute MOST important thing that you can do. Almost EVERYONE who spends any regular amount of time online has an ISP-provided email address. For less than $10/year it's very simple to register your own domain name. Most of the registrars allow simple email forwarding (I use and they have a great email forwarding setup) so you can setup specific accounts for specific things. If you also happen to have a hosting package that uses its own POP/SMTP server then you have even MORE options.

I currently have a separate email account that I use exclusively for poker-related accounts. It is passworded differently than my other accounts as well.

As far as Lou's situation is concerned, it's extremely unfortunate and hopefully restitution will be made in full by the date required. I also hope that Lou will go forward with the prosecution of this person. At the very least I would hope that he has shared the identity with Neteller and Pokerstars (it sounds like he has) and hopefully THEY choose to prosecute.

While it's fine to ask who the perpetrator is, ultimately it really doesn't matter. How is knowing who the person is going to make your accounts any more secure? If the person has your information, they have it. Plain and simple. For those worried, do as others suggest and immediately change any and all passwords that you feel may be comprimised. Basic computer security 101.

I am glad that we were made aware of the situation as silence may have resulted in devistating affects to many forum members accounts. We now know that there is someone who obviously can't be trusted and we should be VERY careful as to what information we present to fellow forum members.

If anyone would like anymore information on how to go about registering domain names and setting up exclusive use email addresses, please feel free to PM me.