View Single Post
Old 06-05-06, 03:18 PM
Title-free

bunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbunny has between 750 and 999 Rep Points
Default Time to settle this once and for all.

You're both correct in your own way. I initially disagreed with MB's first post. TP's post made more sense to me. But down the line, MB's post made sense too. You both confused me so much so, I had no choice but to look it up. Here's what I found. Hope this helps.

TalkingPoker = Bayesian.

MathBabe = Frequentist.

"There is a history of antagonism between Bayesians(TP) and frequentists(MB), with the latter often rejecting the Bayesian interpretation as ill-grounded. The groups have also disagreed about which of the two senses reflects what is commonly meant by the term 'probable'."

Bayesian statisticians believe that Bayesian inference uses aspects of the scientific method, which involves collecting evidence that is meant to be consistent or inconsistent with a given hypothesis. As evidence accumulates, the degree of belief in a hypothesis changes. WHAT TP WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN With enough evidence, it will often become very high or very low. Bayesian statisticians also believe that Bayesian inference is a suitable logical basis to discriminate between conflicting hypotheses. Hypotheses with a very high degree of belief should be accepted as true; those with a very low degree of belief should be rejected as false.

Bayesian inference uses a numerical estimate of the degree of belief in a hypothesis before evidence has been observed and calculates a numerical estimate of the degree of belief in the hypothesis after evidence has been observed.

Bayesianism is more popular among decision theorists. Frequentists can't assign probabilities to things outside the scope of their definition. In particular, frequentists attribute probabilities only to events while Bayesians apply probabilities to arbitrary statements.

Frequentists talk about probabilities only when dealing with well-defined random experiments. The set of all possible outcomes of a random experiment is called the sample space of the experiment. An event is defined as a particular subset of the sample space that you want to consider. For any event only two things can happen; it occurs or it occurs not. The relative frequency of occurrence of an event, in a number of repetitions of the experiment, is a measure of the probability of that event.

(thankyou wiki )

Now you have no choice but to agree to disagree. So, shake hands, make up and let's move on.

With love...bunny

(now... back to clearing that "oh, so ever exhausting bonus" at UB)

Last edited by bunny; 06-05-06 at 03:22 PM.