View Single Post
Old 06-06-06, 01:23 PM
Shark

johnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

It is pretty much commonly accepted right now that the key to beating SNGs is VERY tight early, preserving your stack, so you have enough chips to push later. This obviously is with the understanding that you are pushing with a bigger range of hands than people are calling with. This is the strategy you'd find if you were to look at PokerXFactor (sheets is their SNG guy) or most of the posts on pocketfives. I'm pretty sure 2+2 is the same. There are some dissenters, but most people agree that this is the best strategy. Especially for the turbos, I think this is best. A big stack is good, clearly, but survival is more important. It's sort of weird to think like that, especially since a much different strategy can be really helpful for MTTs.

I was definitely struck by the low number of 8th and 9th finishes too. I agree with the sentiment and see why you would immediately think that I should loosen up early, but that's just not general wisdom right now. If nothing else, it's good for multitabling, because if I've busted in a couple, I can have 2 going where the blinds are high and it's fast and furious, and 2 where the blinds are low and I'm almost in autofold mode.