View Single Post
Old 12-04-04, 03:04 AM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

In most sports playoffs are far superior to regular season. this is most true for hockey. regular season hockey is, well, an afterthought. And I grew up in boston watching the Bruins and it sort of a religion (apologies to Geoff M. and Daniel N. et.al.) but playoff hockey is absolutely amazing. people who dont watch it are missing something, or are potentially missing something lol.
anyway, I think whatever they work out, they should definately cut down the # of teams, and maybe the # of reg. season games. the playoffs take 2 months as it is. but more importantly, hockey doesnt translate very well to television. that is one of the main reasons football has become what it is, it seems it was made for tv (of course the game of football is the best sports ever invented but..)
I think the NHL should really try to be innovative with the way they cover it. they try to shoot the action like a football game, it doesnt work well for those who arent die hard fans. Now i'm going to say this and i am sure i will get killed, but, i think that superpuck thing a few years back wasnt a terrible idea. they just overdid it. you dont need a big bright light, and a tail on it. cmon. but somethig to help follow the play. I also think the best thing they should do is to follow the action with a skycam type of system that some of the nfl action has. think about it. the puck stays at ice level all the time, you wouldnt have to worry about it interfering with play (just maybe the view of spectators?) They have these nets up now to protect the fans, there are some things already there to be able to start attaching thing like cables etc. to. If you could follow the action, in close to real time speed, and get more of a feel for the speed, and the sounds of the game, hockey would be able to succeed in the long run.

phew, i hope this makes sense.
opinions?????